Flower Vase: Chapter 9

After standing in the cold wind all night, Gu Yan got sick the very next day. Down with a cold, fever and achy throat, he lay there, unable to crawl out of Qin Zhiyuan's huge bed. He even sounded feeble when making a phone call.

In sharp contrast, Qin Zhiyuan seemed as fit as a fiddle. He even brought back a bowl of congee with lean meat and century egg for Gu Yan when he returned home from work.

Gu Yan sat up in bed and ate it, one bite after another, he finally felt like he was a bit more alive. Well, it couldn't be helped, Qin Zhiyuan's fridge was a flashy affair without substance. It was completely empty without a scrap of food inside. Even if he'd wanted to cook, he couldn't have put his talents to good use and would have died of hunger before he died of his sickness.

Qin Zhiyuan waited until he finished eating before he reached out to feel his forehead, and said, "Seems like your fever's gone down."

Gu Yan's voice was more nasal than usual, he agreed blearily, "If you've got time tomorrow morning, mind giving me a ride home?"

"So soon? You haven't recovered yet, why don't you stay here for a few more days?"

"I've asked for two days off in a row. If I don't show up to work again by tomorrow, chances are the director will hunt me down."

Qin Zhiyuan was also someone who put work first. He nodded and said, "It's fine if you go back to work, but we'll have to see how your condition is tomorrow. If you're okay by then, come with me to the agency first thing in the morning to sign the contract."

"What contract?"

"Did you forget?" Qin Zhiyuan peered at him with a smile, "That clothing endorsement that you went to audition for last time, it's all set already."

Only then did it come back to Gu Yan.

Honestly, it didn't matter whether he remembered it or not. Anything Qin Zhiyuan wanted to bestow upon him would always be dealt with correctly. If he wanted him to audition, he auditioned, if he wanted him to sign a contract, he signed the contract, there wasn't anything for him to fret about.

So, Gu Yan didn't ask further and went to bed early that night. When he got up the next morning, he felt a lot better, but he still had a bit of a cough.

Even so, Qin Zhiyuan was still concerned and told him to put on two extra pieces of clothing before leaving with him in tow.

Gu Yan had only just signed the contract in the morning, but by the time he arrived on set in the afternoon, he received the roses that Qin Zhiyuan had sent. They were pure black, understated without being ostentatious, and didn't attract anyone's attention. Only Zhang Qi, either with or without intent, snuck a few extra peeks. When he went home that evening, he received a call from his manager again, saying his work schedule was pretty much planned out for the second half of the year. A famous director planned on filming a wuxia movie, with an all-star cast and a huge production. Saying the amount of money invested out loud made you click your tongue, you would know, even without thinking it over, that it was a guaranteed blockbuster.

Gu Yan, of course, would still play the male lead.

After getting together with Qin Zhiyuan, he had never acted in a supporting role again. Even with his awful acting, he was still the lead in every show. Obviously, it didn't need to be said to be understood who contributed to all of this.

Gu Yan fiddled with his phone. He had just thought about calling a certain someone when Qin Zhiyuan called him first. The voice on the other end of the phone was as gentle as always. First, asking about his health, then repeatedly reiterating that he must remember to drink water and take his medicine. Finally, he said he was too busy with work, and probably would be coming by a bit later tonight.