Chapter 4

Jana was torn now more than ever, she had realised just how much this hurt her mum but she had fallen so deeply in love with Rocky. She knew what she had to do, no matter how hard it was going to be. She sent him a text asking him to meet her in the park halfway between both their houses and as soon as he read the text, Rocky knew something was wrong, he couldn’t explain it... He just knew. Jana paced back and forth as Rocky came up behind her and made her jump. “Hey, what’s wrong?” Rocky was anxious after seeing Jana look so upset. Holding his hand, Jana took a deep breath. “I need you to listen to what I’m about to say and you need to let me say it or else... I won‘t be able to do it. I know we’ve only been together for a few months but I love you. I love you so much and I know losing you is going to be so difficult... But my mum, she’s everything to me and I never imagined just how much this would hurt her, but I know now and I can’t do it to her. You... You’re amazing, I don’t think anyone will ever love me the way that I know you do and I know for a fact that I’ll never feel this way about anyone else, but we can’t be together. Our families are important to us both, even though you don’t show it I know you love your parents. It’s the right thing to do, I’m sorry Rocky...” Rocky was crying like he’d never cried before and before he had chance to reply, Jana turned around and walked away. She couldn’t bear to see him cry and she knew that if she stayed it would be so much harder to let him go. As she walked home, every emotion was running through her mind and tears were streaming down her face. As soon as she got home she ran upstairs, collapsed onto her bed and sobbed into her pillow. 

“Jana what on earth’s wrong?!” Caterina had never seen her daughter like this and despite their rough relationship recently, was extremely concerned. “Me and Rocky broke up.” There was a long pause before Caterina replied: “Oh honey, whatever he did to you, I’m sure you’ll be fine and you know it’s probably for the best.” Looking into her mother’s eyes, Jana realised that it was easier to let her think Rocky had hurt her. “I really don’t wanna talk about it mum.” Jana said whilst fighting back her tears. Caterina didn’t say anything, she just cuddled her daughter until she fell asleep.

The next couple of weeks were difficult for Rocky and Jana. Whilst Jana tried to forget everything and get on with her life, Rocky reverted back to his ‘bad boy’ ways. He was ditching classes, he started smoking again and was having a really tough time moving on. Jana had noticed how much Rocky was struggling so decided she would talk to him and see if she could make him feel better. As he saw her approaching him, he lit up another cigarette and gave her a look that was half misery and half hatred. “Hey, you’ve missed 3 Biology lessons do you want to borrow my notes?” Rocky wasn’t fooled. “What do you want Jana?” He asked abruptly. “I just wanted to see if you were alright, you’ve kind of… Not seemed very happy lately and I just want you to know that I’m upset as well and I know neither of us wanted to break up ’cause we belong together but it was the right thing to do and you should move on and at least try to be happy.” Rocky gave a sarcastic laugh that made Jana feel uncomfortable. “We do NOT belong together and as far as I’m concerned, you did me a favour by breaking up with me.” Jana was too shocked to say anything and by the time she was able to speak, Rocky had walked away. She didn’t know why he was being like that, she thought he understood why they had to break up and he did understand but that didn’t take away how hurt he was. Jana was the first person he had ever opened up to and been himself around and he’d lost her. Pain and heartache was all he felt and he was forgetting why he ever understood in the first place. He was on the path to self-destruction and it was only a matter of time before he exploded.