Chapter 3

“JANA! Hurry up, there’s a boy at the door for you!” “What?” Jana thought, who was at the door, it wouldn’t be Rocky she thought, he knew the situation with her and her mum. As Jana came down the stairs she almost had a heart attack. “Good morning beautiful, I thought I’d walk you to school.” Jana stood in disbelief and her mother stood beaming at her in that ‘he’s a good looking boy, why didn’t you tell me about him’ way. “I’ll be 5 minutes” Jana told Rocky as she slammed the door in his face. Before she even turned around, she could feel her mother staring at her, waiting for an explanation. “Er... He’s gay... Bye mum have a nice day!” Jana unconvincingly said as she left the house. 

The first five minutes of the walk to school were extremely awkward, Jana was too distracted by the fact that her mum had just met Rocky and Rocky was confused as to why Jana wasn’t happy to see him. “I just thought I could walk you to school, isn’t that what couples do?” Rocky asked unsure. “Erm yeah but my mum...” “Who did you say I was?” Rocky had that cheeky grin on his face. “Erm... I told her you were ... Um... gay.” Jana expected Rocky to be annoyed with her but when he started laughing hysterically, she knew he wasn’t. After they both had a giggle, Rocky grabbed Jana’s waist, pulled her towards him and kissed her passionately. She could get used to that. 

Jana hadn’t made any real friends yet and Rocky wasn’t the type of boy who had friends so they spent as much time as they possibly could together at school. The lessons they had together were spent holding hands, the 5 minutes they had between lessons were spent kissing in the hallway and dinnertime was spent play fighting and cuddling on the steps outside the school. Other teenagers at the school were staring; some out of jealousy and some for the gossip, but they didn’t care, they truly were falling in love with each other and they couldn’t have been happier. 

Jana spent that night thinking about her relationship with Rocky, they’d had such a perfect day at school and she didn’t see why they had to tell their parents about their relationship. The next day she told Rocky that she wanted to keep it a secret from their parents and all Rocky said was: “That could be fun.” He would do anything for her, anything she wanted him to do. As the weeks past, they fell more and more in love with each other and they became best friends. They told each other everything, but keeping their relationship a secret was hard. They had to arrange dates in advance so Jana could tell her mum she was at the library and Rocky couldn’t treat her the way he wanted to. He wanted nothing more than to cook her a romantic meal, spend all day at her house watching her favourite movies and introduce her to his parents but he coped, Jana was happy so he was happy too. Things were looking good for Caterina too, she had become good friends with their neighbour Isabella and enjoyed her new job. Little did they both know things were about to blow up.

“Jana, I need to talk to you.” The tone in her mother’s voice made Jana anxious. “Didn’t you say you were at the library on Saturday afternoon?” Jana hated lying to her mum but she was too scared to be honest. “Erm yeah, I was there all day, on my own...” “Oh... Isabella said she saw you kissing a boy, she was absolutely certain that it was you.” Jana could tell that her mum knew she was lying. She took a deep breath and told her mum everything. She thought that if she explained how she felt about Rocky, then her mum would forgive her for lying. But as Jana got deeper into the story, she could see her mum’s face getting angrier and angrier to the point where she looked completely hurt. “You cannot be in a relationship with Rocky Montague.” “Mum I’m in love with him...” Jana knew she was pushing her mother too far. “ Jana you are 17! You are not in love with him and you are NOT in a relationship with him!” Jana was devastated, she stormed to her bedroom in the worst mood she could ever remember being in. Later that night Jana was about to go into her mum’s room to apologise when she overheard her mum sobbing. She was sobbing her heart out over a picture. Jana was unsure of who was in the picture but as she leaned closer she saw a young couple, they must have been about 18 and they looked just like Rocky and Jana. Jana gasped. It was Claudio and Caterina.