Chapter 2

As Rocky walked her home, Jana wondered how on earth she would explain this to her mum. She knew that her mother would be hurt at this and Jana would rather sacrifice her own happiness for the sake of her mothers - that’s just the kind of girl she was. But in her heart, Jana knew she would find it extremely difficult to give Rocky up; the way he smiled at her, his rebellious charm, the way she could see right into his soul when he gazed at her… What could she do?

The walk home appeared to last a lifetime and Rocky could sense Jana’s uneasiness as she hastily stopped him at the end of her street. This was the happiest night of Rocky’s life but he had a feeling it was about to turn into the worst. “Are you okay?” he asked. “You look like you’re about to cry” Jana tried to look anywhere but his eyes as she knew that was all it would take for her to kiss him. “I don’t want to sound like a crazy teenage girl but … I think you could be The One, whatever that means, but my mum… Well she means everything to me and imagine if we got married, how would she cope seeing your mum and dad and what if she hated you? I mean she probably would hate you…” Jana could feel herself getting overwhelmed by the words trailing out of her mouth but Rocky just gave a cheeky giggle. “I think we should at least go on one date before we get married.” As Jana started laughing she realised that was what she loved about Rocky, his ability to just stand and grin whilst she was bordering on being hysterical. He had this attitude that some could find arrogant but she found charming. She understood him. And he understood her. They were so completely different, but so amazingly right for each other. 

She kissed him goodnight and walked down a very lonely street to her house. Her mum was still awake and waiting for her, as Jana had predicted, and immediately started fussing. “Did you have a good time? I hope you weren’t too lonely. Do you want me to make you something to eat? Come on sit down and tell me all about it!” Jana and her mum were unbelievably close, they had been on their own for as long as they could remember, Jana’s mum was her only family for her whole life after Caterina’s family disowned her after falling pregnant whilst single and only 21. They had a special relationship, a relationship that they both cherished and Jana was reluctant to tell her the truth which would jeopardise their bond. “I had fun mum, nothing special happened and yeah I’m starving but I’m dying to get out of this dress, give me 10 minutes.” Jana hurried up to her bedroom as fast as she could, she hated lying to her mum, in fact, this was the first time she’d ever actually done it before and she felt sick. She sighed a breath of relief as she unzipped her dress and took a deep breath before heading back downstairs. Her mobile phone beeping made Jana and her mum jump. She was reluctant to read the text message because she knew her mum would most likely be extremely nosey and ask who it was from but Caterina didn’t even turn around to look she just said: “I’m so glad you’ve made friends bella.” Her mums words gave Jana comfort and she couldn’t help but smile reading Rocky’s text: 

“Can’t stop thinking about how beautiful you looked tonight, date?” “You looked alright yourself, I’ll talk to you at school.” Jana was inexperienced at the whole ‘dating’ thing and was unsure of her reply, but it was too late as she had already pressed the send button. 

After Jana ate her sandwich and listened to her mum talk about how she had spent the evening, it wasn’t quite as exciting as Jana’s evening but she listened anyway, she went up to bed. She wasn’t entirely sure that the evening had been real, she felt like she was in a parallel universe, or a really cheesy dream. She laid in bed wondering what Rocky was doing and funnily enough, he was doing the exact same thing. He was imaging what his and Jana’s future would be like. For Rocky, his family wasn’t an issue. He wasn’t sure if his father even remembered Caterina and he was certain that he wouldn’t care.  There was something about Jana that made Rocky determined to be with her and for the first time in a long while, he went to sleep with a smile on his face.