The Misunderstanding

Marinette had enough.

She loved Adrien so much. But after seeing him and Kagami together after the first day of their new school year, she couldn't handle it anymore.

Her chance to be with him was gone. He was with Kagami, and that was it. It didn't matter how much she loved him. Because he didn't love her back. She finally had to face facts.

The quick walk home was filled with tears. Once reaching her bedroom she threw herself down onto her bed and sobbed uncontrollably.

Her kwami Tikki tried to console her. "Oh Marinette," she whispered. "I'm sorry."

"It's over Tikki," she managed to choke out. "I can't keep doing this to myself. Adrien will never love me back."

"You don't know that..."

"Yes, I do. I should have realized it a long time ago but I wouldn't let myself. He loves Kagami, and now they're together. It's over."

"But I thought they weren't officially dating?" Tikki asked.

Marinette wiped her face. "They were holding hands when they met up after school. What else could that possibly mean?"

Silence as the kwami didn't know how to respond.

"I don't know what to do," the girl continued. "Maybe I should just date Luka. I know that he likes me. And maybe going out with him will finally force me to move on."

"You shouldn't date Luka just to get over Adrien. That's not very fair to him."

Another sob came out. "I know, I know. I'm just so tired of being alone."

"You're not alone Marinette, you have me!"

She sighed. "You know what I mean."

"It won't be like this forever," Tikki argued gently.

"I'm sorry Tikki but I... I'm really tired right now. We'll talk about this later." She closed her eyes and turned onto her other side.

The kwami flew away to give Marinette some space. Her heart broke a little every time she heard a sniffle.

Marinette stayed in bed until her mother called her down for dinner. As the family ate, her parents could tell that there was something wrong, but they didn't want to pry.

Once in her room again, she went back to her bed. She just didn't have the desire to do anything other than lie down and cry the night away.

Unfortunately, fate had other plans.

A loud groan escaped her lips when she heard her phone chime. That particular chime meant one thing, an akuma attack.

Tikki flew up to her.

Marinette looked over. "Let's get this over with. Tikki, spots on," she said unenthusiastically. She transformed into Ladybug and climbed out to her balcony through the hatch above her bed. Then she grabbed her yo-yo and swung off across the city.

This akumatized villain was wreaking havoc at the Trocadero Gardens. She was relieved to see that Chat Noir was already at the scene when she arrived.

As soon as the akuma was purified and everything went back to normal, Ladybug went to grab her yo-yo to leave.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Chat Noir asked, walking over to her with his fist out.

She sighed. "I'm sorry, I've been having a bad day," she replied apologetically.

They fist bumped. "Pound it."

"I'm sorry that you're having a bad day," Chat Noir said. "But I'm actually really glad that there was an akuma attack today."