Chapter 34

The first headline across her phone read: "AURADON AT WAR." Then, in quick succession, new headlines appeared. "Undiscovered Northern Continent Engaged in Civil War", "Auradon Barrier Allows Unknown Monsters Through", and finally, "King Benjamin Declares War Against Overland Villains".

Mal hummed as she sipped on a strawberry smoothie and read through the official palace announcement, dictating in detail about the new continent, the lost island and the attack on the moorlands, and how Auradon had been approached. Reason for entering the war and a lengthy description of the battle as it currently stood. For the first time in several months, Ben's page was more popular than hers. That was funny, to think that she was more popular than the actual ruler of the country.

"Looks like everything is changing," Adam grumbled as he squinted at his phone. Mal nodded. She and her father-in-law were the only people in the room. She didn't know where Belle was, or Ben for that matter. They were probably fine.

"Have anything today?" Adam asked. "You might not want to try to go to the Isle. The press might watch for you at the docks."

"No, I was going to stay in anyways," Mal replied. "I actually should be getting up to my office soon." She pushed her chair out and, still examining the articles, reached out blindly for her glass. "I'll see you around," She bid Adam farewell before turning and leaving.

As she passed by the library, she heard a tiny cry and paused to peer inside. The room was warm – much warmer than it had been outside lately – and mostly empty except for the figure in yellow who was sitting on one of the couches, reading. She slipped past the doorframe and walked over without a word.

Mal draped her frame across the back of the couch and looked down at Belle, whose eyes flicked up to peer at her daughter-in-law. She reached for a bookmark, marked the page, and then closed the book before swinging her feet off the couch and gesturing to the now vacant seat. "What's up?" She asked.

"Not much," Mal shrugged even though that wasn't true. "Where's Madison?"

Belle pointed to the ground on the other side of the couch, where a baby's blanket was spread on the ground and little Madison on her tummy, examining the world around her and struggling to keep her head up. "Ah," Mal nodded. She took a seat beside for a moment before Belle reached down and picked up Madison. She offered the girl to her sister and Mal received her with a little smile.

Madison was light in her hands. Would her baby end up being this small? Maybe they'd even have her matching hair.

"Was there something you were coming up to see me for?" Belle asked, smiling at her two daughters fondly.

Mal swallowed. She suddenly felt uneasy. Holding Madison was reminding her of everything that was coming and everything she was about to go through. She tried to swallow her doubts down. "I was heading to my office," she explained. "But now that you mention it, I do have something I was to ask you." Belle inclined her head and Mal began tracing the outside of Madison's ear as she tried to gather her thoughts. "What was it like for you? Getting Ben?" She asked.

Belle's eyes brightened. She reached for Madison. Mal let her go without much of a fight. After all, Madison was Belle's daughter now. "It was wonderful," Belle smiled. "Having the doctors put him in my arms was one of the best feelings ever." She sighed like schoolgirls did, talking about princes on horses and knights in armor.

Mal chuckled a little. It was different for her, she knew, but she still felt like she could relate a little. Having Ben in her arms was an exhilarating feeling.

Belle kissed the top of Madison's head and laid her against her shoulder before continuing. "It's fun to watch you and he be in love together, but I do miss when he was small enough that I could pick him up and swing him around. He gave the best cuddles."