SHORT STORY- I Was There

I saw you for the first time when I passed by your house on your birthday. Everybody was happy, including you. I got mesmerized by your laugh and your smile that I didn't realize that I was staring too much until you walked towards me smiling. You held out your hand to me and that's when we became friends. We became bestfriends almost immediately when you found out we went to the same school. I never realized that I fell for you, and I wanted to confess.

Then Prom came, you were so dashing in your tuxedo. You smiled and waved at me. You even gave me a hug. We spent the whole night together. We were both so happy. I wanted to confess to you that day.

Then there's this girl who walked towards you, being all sexy in her black fit dress. She was beautiful and stunning. You were smiling at her, she was smiling at you and you both walked out of the party. I never got the chance to confess, to say what I want to say. To say that "I love you and my heart beats only for you"

I went home alone, teary-eyed. I feel so stupid for reacting like this.

The following years, we stayed as best friends. The girl you met at prom? You are engaged with her right now.

Yes, I haven't moved on. Yes, I know I still love you but I'll support you all the way through.

Then, it was the day of your wedding. You were at the altar. So handsome, so dashing. Then the bride came in, looking perfect. You looked at me and smiled and gave me a thumbs up together with your heart-skipping smile. Me, as a fool returned your thumbs up with a smile.

Years later, you were sick. You were hospitalized for having a stage 4 leukemia. I was there beside you the whole time. I was there when your wife said you're of no use to her. I was there when you were broken. Both financially and emotionally. I was there when you were crying the whole night. I was there on your birthday to blow out the candle for you because you can't.

I was there when you can't even move. I was there when the nurses and doctors rushed in. I was there when your heart stopped beating. I was there, holding your hand, trying my best not to cry. I was there when we walked you towards the cemetery. I was there when your mum read the letter you wrote before you died. "In sickness and in health, till death do us part, she was there. But she didn't seal that vow with me. I love you and don't be sad for too long."

I was there when they lowered you, I was there when they covered you with dirt. I was there when your mum cried her heart out. I was there to say "I love you too"