Chapter 3: Caught

The next day was probably the most exciting of all. Etta had managed to get Stella to lie down on the ground, and was laying down on top of her. Stella lay calmly on her side, seeming contente as Etta lay on her, stroking her neck. After that, she thought Stella was ready for her to be ridden.
She fetched a halter and lead rope in the tack room, and fastened the halter to the mare. Using the fence as leverage, Margretta mounted the mare, bareback. Stella did not move as Etta seated herself on her back. She stood, calmly, as she rewarded her with some pats. The girl then asked the mare to walk around the ring. She did, and the two paced around the ring for awhile. Suddenly feeling brave, Etta squeezed her legs, asking for a trot. The mare picked up speed, and began to trot. As if by instinct, Etta rolled her hips to the beat of the trot, overjoyed from her big achievement. She slowed the mare to a walk, leaning forward to hug her and pet her neck.

-"Hey! I thought I told you to be careful around that horse, and now you've just mounted it!" Exclaimed a voice behind her.

Etta's heart sank. She turned to see Lyla walking towards her.

-" How did you do that?" Asked the guide as she reached the fence.

Etta looked away, her palms growing sweaty.

-"I don't know... I just...", she mumbled. Lyla waited for an explanation. She wiped her palms on her navy jeans. "Well I," she began, then, with a burst of courage, she looked up, "I got her to trust me and..."

-"That was very dangerous, what you did, that horse never let anyone near her." Said Lyla, sternly.

-"But... She didn't seem aggressive when I came in to change her water, and she wasn't eating, so I thought if I tried hand feeding her, that she would eat. I promise I would never have done this if I felt in any way that she could be dangerous... I'm really sorry," said Etta, looking down.

-"There's not much we can do about it now. Dismount." She ordered. "I am going to have to tell your teachers about this,"

Etta dismounted, and followed Lyla out of the ring, utterly embarrassed.

-"Hello there, what seems to be the problem?" Asked Mrs Vermont.

Etta's heart sank even further. She was in trouble.

-"This student has done something very dangerous today," said Lyla.

-"Oh really?" Asked Mrs Vermont. Etta knew she was looking straight at her, but dared not look up.

-"Yes, she mounted a horse she knew was dangerous," said Lyla.

There was a silence. Etta wiped her palms on her jeans again and looked up. She met Mrs Vermont's stern look for a moment, then looked down at her feet again.

-"I-I am really sorry," She said.

-"That was indeed very dangerous of you, Margretta, It's not like you, I would think we'd raised you to know better." Said Mrs Vermont, "You will have to be punished," she said.

Etta winced. She hated her full name. Mrs Vermont was the only one who used it, everyone else only used it if she was in trouble.

-"I will let you take care of this." Said Lyla.

The guide walked away in the direction of the barn.
Mrs Vermont looked at Etta.

-"For now, you will be sent back to school-" she started, but was interrupted by Etta.

-"but-"

She was interrupted back by Mrs Vermont.

-"No 'buts'! I will send for Hansengrove, and the two of you will go back to the school." Said Mrs Vermont.