I toss and turn, trying to will myself to sleep. The hardest part about working nights is sleep. It almost feels impossible sometimes.

After drifting in an out of sleep for the better part of the day, I groan and throw my blankets off my bed. The clock on my nightstand says 4pm. I have two hours before I have to go back in to work.

I slip into a sports bra, shorts and my running shoes. I needed to get all these pent up feelings out. I needed to breathe.

I throw open the front door and freeze.

In my driveway sat my car. My hands curl into fists. I march over to the suv. It had been though a car wash, was shiny and the paint gleamed. A white piece of paper sat underneath the windshield wiper. I yanked it out and tore it open.

Nat,

You forgot your keys in my car, and I took it upon myself to take your car to a buddy of mine who owns a shop. The alternator was out. Got it replaced. No hassle. I left the keys on your mailbox.

Thanks for taking such good care of my Nan.

Xx
Wes

I couldn't decide if I was angry, embarrassed, or thankful. Maybe all of the above. But embarrassment shrouded through everything.

The paper crumpled under my fist. Who was he to show up back into my life and act like he cared after all these years? What the hell could he want from me?

After the initial shock subsided, worry spread through. There is no way I'm going to be able to pay him back for this. Not right now. I scrubbed my hands over my eyes.

I head down to the mailbox to retrieve my keys. Then stop and look at my car again. The tires. Those are brand new tires.

My stomach sinks. Bold of him to assume that everyone was just able to willy nilly buy new tires, and fix everything wrong with their car. Not everyone is a famous sports star with millions of dollars to their names.

Forgetting my run, I head back inside and start getting ready for my next twelve hour shift. I will most likely have Lorna again as a patient.

I told myself that the reason I actually brushed my hair before putting it in a bun, and dabbed a little concealer under my eyes to hide my dark circles is because I'm doing to stop at the bank before my shift. No other reason. I didn't care what Wes thought of me. Not at all.

At least, that's what I told myself.

...

I drop my purse into my work locker and head over to the fridge to toss my lunch in.

"Did you guys see who's here?" Lexi, another nurse on my floor asked to the group of nurses getting ready to take report.

"Yeah!" Chimed in Dani. "Weston freaking Bennet."

I rolled my eyes. Oh the drama. I guess that's what happens when you work primarily in a women led field.

"He's like, a billion times hotter in person! I wonder who has his grandma tonight." Lexi said giddily.

"Natalie knows him." Katie says, and gives me a pointed look. "He bought her coffee yesterday and gave her googly eyes."

I glared at her.

Everyone gasped and turned to look at me.

"How?" Lexi gasped, a bit too dramatically.

Katie gave me shrug and blew me a kiss.