Chapter 5

This is chapter is from SARAH'S point of view

As I walked through my front door I couldn't help but smile, I had just spent such a wonderful day and evening with my best friend.  It was fantastic just to hang-out with Alexis; ‘oh how I had missed her’ I thought as I tip toed up the short hallway to my bedroom. I was just about to enter through my door when I heard my mum call out to me.

"Hello darling I didn't hear you come in" she said in her usual caring way 

It was obvious that Mum must have been doing the laundry because she was coming out of the laundry cradling and arm load of towels, she looked exhausted, her eyes looked so tired and her face was all blotchy due to the lack of make-up. My Mum used to always take such pride in her appearance but lately she had seemed to just let herself go, her sandy blond hair was frizzing and out of control and her once dazzling blue eyes were now almost always accompanied by big bags under her them and she seemed to be wearing her old grey track pants along with one of my Dads old t-shirts more and more these days. What could I say... She looked a fright!

"Hey Mummy", I replied, forcing a smile to form upon my lips."I wasn't sure if you were home" I lied.

Of course I knew she was home, my Mum was a stay at home mother or ‘home duties mum’ as she liked to say. Mum had taken a few casual jobs here and there but nothing really seemed to stick. Mum had my brother Harrison at the mere age of sixteen and she had been forced to drop out of school and care for him; I arrived two years later so she had pretty much had her hands full and after marrying my Dad at eighteen my Dad  had took it upon himself to ‘bring home the bacon’.

"Yep, I’m home sweets, have been all day" my mum replied as she walked past me and continued up the hallway to the bathroom to put the towels away.

I didn't bother replying I just smiled and walked into my bedroom flopping down onto my bed face first. As I rolled onto my back my mind started going into overload, my parents constant bickering was putting all of us on edge lately. Harrison was nineteen, almost twenty really so he had no curfew, which meant it was a lot easier for him to avoid being at home and he often stayed at his mates place, I was beginning to wonder how long it would be until he eventually moved out all together and I hoped he would hold off for a while yet as I didn’t like the idea of him not being here full time. 

Thinking about things I thought that it was as if my mum could never do anything right these days, Dad would complain about everything, right down to finding a crease on one of his work shirts. It was rather pathetic really but after almost twenty years of marriage they were bound to have some issues. Hearing a knock on my door I pushed myself up into a sitting position. I don't know why mum knocked considering that I had left my door wide open.

"Are you ok sweets?"  Mum asked smiling as she walked in and took a seat on the edge of my bed.

"Yeah I'm fine mummy" I smiled back looking up into her eyes. 

"What did you get up to today" mum questioned me.

"I just went to the library to study a bit and then met up with Lex and hung with her for a few hours" I answered stretching my legs out in front of me.

"That's nice hun, how is she doing now?' concern filling her tired face.

My mum cared a lot for Lex and had felt helpless when Lexi's mother had passed away. Our mums had a really great friendship having known each other for many years due to mine and Lexi's pre-school bond. Their friendship had never faded and had been as strong as ever even when they didn’t get time to catch up for weeks at at time and mine and Lexi’s was exactly the same.