Chapter 15- Principal Newman

I looked at Dad climbing on top of Comet. "Do I need to get Cupid?"

Comet nodded quickly and I giggled. One of the elves handed a saddled-up Cupid to me, surprising me. Bernard helped me up safely as Cupid walked up next to Comet.

"Come on, you know, it's not like we're pulling the sleigh or anything, right? There's no packages, it's one stop, I think I might've forgot we're gonna go see Charlie."

At that, Comet took off, surprising all of us. Cupid took off after Dad. We flew to Mom's house in no time, letting them sit by the woods. We went to Charlie's school, my old school. Mrs. Newman was going to embarrass me to no end.

"Scott! Hey, you trimmed your beard," Mom hugged Dad.

"I see they fixed the ear problem," Neil hugged me as if I was still a little kid.

"Yep," I nodded, pulling away from him.

"Come here, big guy," Neil said as he and Dad hugged. "Woah, loss of weight there. Slim fast?"

"You don't know how fast," Dad said.

"We should get going," Mom wrapped an arm around me. "How are you and Bernard?"

"Very toxic. Worst couple in the world. I've been telling her to get a divorce, but she insists she loves him," Dad said jokingly.

Mom looked at me, wide-eyed. "Please tell me he's joking."

I giggled. "Of course, Mom. Bernard and I are happily married of six years now, and still holding strong."

"I still can't shake off the fact that he could break into our house," Neil said as we walked.

"Any elf could break into anyone's house. Bernard just knew that I was there so no one there would attack him," I explained. "But, enough about me. Do you know what's going on with Charlie?"

"Sadly, no," Mom shook her head. "He keeps upping the anti. This time, he defaced school property."

"It's a classic case of acting out," Neil added.

"I'm blaming myself for this," Dad looked down as I snapped my head up.

"Oh, come on now, we're both his parents," Mom argued.

"If anything, I haven't been a good sister. I told him I'd visit, and I only visit for a week every year," I frowned.

"You're the best sister for even making time to see Charlie," Mom retorted.

"Where is he?" Dad asked.

"He's waiting for us in Principal Newman's office," Mom explained.

"Principal Newman. There's something about that woman that makes me want to deface school property," Dad said before Principal Newman appeared in front of us.

"Hello Mr. Calvin, Laura, Neil. Hello, Crystal. You've barely grown a bit since I last saw you," she smiled at me.

"Nice to see you again, Principal Newman," I nodded to her.

"I haven't seen you since the last time Charlie was in trouble," Principal Newman looked at Dad.

"Well, I've been traveling for work, y'know? And Crystal's been with me also," Dad explained.

"Oh, well, maybe if you spent more time with him, both of you, there would be fewer problems," Principal Newman said bluntly.

"Maybe, but then I wouldn't get to spend so much time with you, which is always such a pleasure," Dad said sarcastically.

"Ah, a battle of wit. It's a shame that you've come unarmed. Excuse me," Principal Newman brushed past Dad.

"Well, she's more cheerful than ever," I snorted. "I see your point, Dad."

She led us into her office after she stored a skateboard. I stood behind Charlie as Principal Newman looked at her computer.

"Not only is it a front to authority, but a blatant disrespect for property. I feel that if this sort of thing continues, I'll have no other choice than to-"

"Excuse me, is there a rest stop between here and the end of the lecture? Because I'm more interested in why this happened in the first place," Dad cut her off.

"So am I," I looked at him.

"Charlie, we're all worried about you. It feels to me like you're trying to get someone's attention. What's bothering you?" Principal Newman asked.

Charlie shrugged. She looked at me. "Crystal, you're one of the best students I've ever had. Do you have anything?"

"I can't speak for Charlie. I may be his sister, but I never know what's running through his mind," I lied. I thought he was trying to get a girl's attention. Just like Bernard had done with me.

"Dr. Miller?" Mrs. Newman looked at him.

"Neil," he corrected her.

"Neil, do you have any theories?" she asked.

"Well, frankly, I have several," Neil started.

"Here we go. Let's just order a pizza," Dad sat down.

"Dad, let him speak," I said calmly.

"I was listening to a new tape series on child development just last night-"

Neil was cut off by Dad banging his head against the file cabinet. I glared at him.

"You- You know what the problem is? Excuse me, Neil. It's four weeks until Christmas. That's a major holiday in December," Dad interrupted.

"Oh," Mrs. Newman said sarcastically.

Charlie smiled as I tried to hide my smile. He looked back at me. "Best student?"

"What do you expect?" I whispered, raising an eyebrow.

"I mean, what kind of school are you running?" I tuned back into Dad's rant.

"A public school, Mr. Calvin. A top-academic, e-rated public school in the district. That takes a lot of effort... and money. And spending any of that money on Christmas decorations would take away from the things that truly matter," Principal Newman explained.

"Forgive me, but I think holiday cheer really matters," Dad countered.

"Hey! What are we going to do, Charlie? We are all really-"

"Let me handle this. Charlie, you know what you did is really wrong, right?" Dad turned to Charlie.

"I guess so," Charlie said, making me frown.

"There's no guessing? Guessing is gone. You know what you did is wrong, and you're never going to do it again. Promise me," Dad said.

"Okay," Charlie shrugged.

"There you go! He's good to his word, he won't do it again. Meeting is adjourned," Dad concluded.

"It most certainly is not! Charlie!" Principal Newman protested as Charlie stood up.

"You know what else? Here's a little donation. You should buy yourself a wreath," Dad placed some money on the table.

"You're telling me what happened when we get home, got it?" I said quietly and sternly to Charlie.

"Crystal-"

"No protesting. You're telling me," I said. I sighed. "Charlie, I'm your sister, and I know this isn't some rebellious act or acting up or whatever the heck Neil thinks is going on. I'm sitting you down, and I want a nice sibling conversation."