Chapter 11

Trigger Warning!

Josie's POV: Tears flowed down my face as I continued to search the house, looking for any sign that my sister was here, that she's okay, but there isn't one. It's almost as if she wasn't here at all. Ignoring the sound of Hope and Penelope talking outside, I walked toward the kitchen before pausing at the foot of the stairs. 

Bouncing my leg anxiously, I glanced over at the clock before hearing the door open, causing me to look up as Lizzie walked through the door. I grinned, jumping off the couch before barreling into her excitedly. "You're home", I giggled as she wrapped her arms around me with a small laugh.

"Hey, easy. You're gonna knock us both down", she chuckled lightly, pulling away as she looked me over. "I missed you today...", she sighed, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "It sucks that he won't let you go", she said, cupping my face with a watery smile. "But maybe it's better this way", she sighed, causing me to frown to myself as I brushed my finger across a bruise on her jaw.

"Lizzie hurt", I pouted.

"Hey, I'm fine", she promised. "I just slipped", she lied, causing me to bite my lip.

I knew she was lying.

Every time Lizzie lies, she would look away from me.

"Who", I asked her quietly as tears filled her eyes. "Who", I demanded, feeling a urge to hurt anyone who dared lay their hands on my twin.

"Come on, we can start with reading-"

"No", I huffed, stomping my foot childishly. "Tell Josie who", I demanded.

"Josie, not now, okay? Can we just-"

"No", I exclaimed. "They n-need...t-they...", I trailed off in frustration.

"Josie, that's enough", she told me sternly.

"B-but they hurt Lizzie", I sniffed, causing her eyes to soften before she pulled me into a hug. Melting into her arms, I felt my body relax as Lizzie's heartbeat filled my ears. "Lizzie mad", I pouted, causing her to sigh as she rocked on her feet slightly.

"No, I'm not mad", she admitted, causing me to smile in relief as I snuggled deeper into her chest. 

"Josie", Hope called, causing me to blink as I realized that I was cupping Hope's face. Yanking my hand away as if I was burned, I quickly took a step back as my hands trembled. "Hey, it's okay", she assured, holding her hands out as if she was trying to sooth a wild animal. "But it's getting late", she said softly, causing me to scowl at her tone, before someone grabbed my arm.

"Daddy", I sniffed, pushing open the door to my parents' room. "Daddy, I had a nightmare...", I trailed off, staring at the pale skin of a young girl's back. "Oh...um...should I come back", I asked him in confusion as the girl shrieked, moving to cover herself. 

"What the hell are you doing in here", dad exclaimed, his face reddening. 

"I...I had a nightmare-"

"Get out", he demanded.

"W-what", I frowned.

"Get out", he yelled, throwing a whiskey bottle across the room before it hit the wall beside me, causing me to jump as I stumbled out of the room. 

"B-but...", I choked out, watching him get to his feet and slip his pants on before storming across the room. 

"Now", he exclaimed, grabbing a hold of my casted hand before dragging me out of the room forcefully.