《 ─── GREASE ON A STICK

《 19 ─── CHAPTER NINETEEN ࿐ ˊˎ-

────────────

────────────

“yeah, uh i really don’t want to do this,” you said, nose scrunching up in distaste as Midnight explained the next round.
“bruh, neither,” Kaminari said, having walked up to you and Shinsou.
“yes, but publicity,” Shinsou added, “i feel that we all want a bit of that.”
“true true,” you nodded.

“you’re much less scary in person, i must say,” Kaminari stated, looking at Shinsou.
Shinsou looked amused. “you thought i was scary?”
“well, obviously,” Kaminari replied, “you came and, like, threatened us.”
you snorted, “not gonna lie, that was quite funny, i was trying not to laugh throughout the whole thing.”
“oh. that. yeah, well, i suppose it was rather effective then,” Shinsou said, fairly pleased with himself.

“Midnight-sensei!” a student shouted, causing you to ignore the conversation you were currently taking part in. the student continued to explain that they couldn’t remember most of the sports festival, and for that reason, they were going to drop out of the competition.

“wait, wasn’t that kid from our team?” you nudged Shinsou, pointing at the kid.
“oh, uh, yeah.”
“great.” you smiled, “i’m gonna quit.”
“quit?” Kaminari questioned.
“yeah, i don’t wanna do this, so i’m gonna claim that i can’t remember anything either,” you explained.
“i mean, fair enough, but don’t you want the publicity? it’ll help you with hero stuff,” Kaminari said, head tilted.
“Kaminari, darling, i came second in the obstacle course, i’d hope people would have noticed me from that,” you replied.

“Midnight-sensei!” you called out, “i’m dropping out too!”
“L/N, are you sure?” the pro hero asked.
“yeah, yeah, i’m sure,” you replied, nodding your head.
“alright then.”

“did you seriously just drop out because you couldn’t be bothered to do it?” Shinsou asked, a mildly bewildered expression on his face.
“well, yes, but also, i didn’t get any sleep last night, i stayed up watching anime.” you scratched at your neck awkwardly.
Kaminari snorted, “honestly, mood.”
“of course you did,” Shinsou sighed softly.

you looked up as Midnight showed who would be fighting who.
“oh! Shinsou, you’re up first!” you exclaimed.
“ugh, i am?” Shinsou looked displeased with this revelation.
"yeah! you're up against Midoriya!" Kaminari added, "i still don't know what his quirk really is, so you might be screwed."
Shinsou sighed, "that's... very reassuring, thanks." his voice dripped with sarcasm.
Kaminari smiled his bright smile, "you're welcome, bro!"