Chapter 1: The Past and the Present

I woke up in the very same bed I see every morning. The sunlight slowly lighting up my room as I started to get ready.

"Another busy day.." I said as I headed over to the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth, took a bath and changed into normal office wear. This has been my everyday routine every morning.

Not really that exciting..

I finished brushing my H/l H/c into a low bun professionally and went downstairs.

----------

"Alissa..?" I said unexpectedly seeing her in the kitchen.

"Ah, Y/n! Good morning..!! I have to say.. You're up early."

"This is my daily routine.. everyday. Not surprised though, you know nothing about me."

I said towards my step-mother. My mom died two years ago as she had lost her battle towards her sickness.

It was unfortunate and unfair for her to die just like that..

My dad surprisingly got over it that quickly and decided to remarry. Honestly, it took him about a year to do so. But my heart couldn't move on and forget it that fast.

It really is hard to forget someone who made memories with you.

"O-oh.. I see, you're still not over it.."

"I am. And I don't think moving on have to involve forgetting that person completely. Not in my situation."

She didn't respond back and just decided to continue what she was doing. She finished cooking the breakfast she made for.. us?

"Look.. I know I am nothing compared to your mother and her love but.. Please give me a chance to show you what I can give." She smiled and gave me the plate of pancakes.

I declined her action of kindness and stood up from the dining table.

"I'm sorry Alissa. But I don't think I can accept you just yet."

I saw the small frown on her face which I admit, made me feel a bit guilty. Nonetheless, I just wasn't ready even after two whole years.

"Also, as far as I can remember.. I don't think it was your job to do the chores around here. Where are the maids?"

"..Uh, well.. Summer is rolling around and I thought giving them time for vacation would be nice-"

"You what." I answered back almost sounding intimidating. I never intended to, but I can't do anything about it.

"Don't worry.. If you're worried of the chores, I can do them for you. It's not a big deal-"

"No. The maids and the others are coming back tomorrow ASAP. You don't have to do anything."

I left it at that and left the house. I didn't wanna continue on with that conversation.

Alissa and I haven't been much close as far as I can remember. I just don't feel comfortable calling another woman my 'mom' because of dad's choices.

Or maybe.. I just liked denying the truth. I don't even know at this point.

This went on for a year now and I don't even bother fixing it. It's that complicated.

I went on my car and drove towards my office.

Half way through my driving, I remembered I still haven't got any breakfast yet. As I denied Alissa's cooking earlier.

"Ughh.. Now I'll have to out in public to get food.. "

I never like conversations. Same goes for interviews, talking, just the whole human interaction to be exact.