Chapter 6

Ivory came into the office with a cool head. Dr. Zhane had moved the chairs to face each other so that Ivory and Melo would face each other and do this last part of the session. Both Melo and Ivory are in confusion as to what Dr. Zhane have up her sleeve. Dr. Zhane said to both of them "time is almost up for y'all. I got other clients coming in soon so what y'all two are going to do is take your seats and face each other. When I count to 3, both of y'all will tell each other that either you 'want to move on' or 'want to stay', then y'all will explain one at a time why you've made the choice." Melo and Ivory both set in front of each other and they waited for Dr. Zhane's count. Dr. Zhane started the count and that's when both of them responded saying "want to move on." It's no shock that both said that. Ivory grabbed Melo's hands and said to him in a sincere but warming tone "Melo I love you. I always will and that's the truth. We've been at each other way too long that we didn't have love in that household, we had hate in that house and we both don't want the kids to grow up emotionally hurt and thinking it's okay to be with someone that you can't seem to be in love with anyone. I was wrong for not being there for you as well as I should have been; with that being said, I can't forgive you or my used to be friend for doing this behind my back but I won't hold onto something that we both know is over. It's destroying us by hanging onto a lie that we tell ourselves just so we can paint a image for the kids to look up to but it's the wrong one that we're painting. You're an amazing father and I ask that you continue to be in their lives; also I know you probably love her and want to be with her so go do that. If that's where your happiness comes from then that's where you should be." She began to tear up, but only because a sense of relief. Melo took a deep breath and said to Ivory "Ivory, thank you for letting me go. I do love her and want to be with her. I'm sorry that I wasn't honest from the beginning, with the reason why we got married so fast and the sneaking behind your back. It was wrong for it having to be with someone you're close with but I can't help who else I would fall in love with. You're absolutely right about the picture we're painting for the kids. I will always be in their lives, no matter what happens between us, you can believe that." Melo looked at Dr. Zhane and said "I guess I broke my families tradition." He smiles as if he just took a load of pressure off of his shoulders. Dr. Zhane says to both of them "it's unfortunate that both of y'all want to end the marriage but it's the first step into healing. The first step into removing yourself from what hurt you for so long so you can open yourself up for self healing and self love and new beginnings. Good luck on y'all individual journeys. Peace."
         Dr. Zhane hugged both Melo and Ivory and walked them out of her office. Melo and Ivory took a walk together to talk about how their new lives will begin. Melo said to Ivory "this is going to be hard to explain to the kids you know?" "Yes it is." "Yeah but let's make the decisions together this time on how things are going to be, far as the kids and the business." "That's fair. I have a question; were you going to tell me that you were dating Robin?" "To be honest, I don't know. I knew eventually I would have to tell you and I thought you would've known already but I see you didn't. Like I said back there, it wasn't something planned or intentional, she was there for me and then I couldn't help my feelings for her. I started to love her more than I did with you." "It still hurts that you're with her; you could've had somebody else but it is what it is. I knew something was weird when I stopped seeing her for 3 years, she said she was in Paris but the whole time she was with you. All I'm going to say is don't have her around our children." "That's fine, I'll keep them away from her." Melo and Ivory then walked to their SUV and both went home to explain to the kids of what's going to happen.