IV

I ignore the pins and needles sprouting in my side, and the dull ache of my labouring lungs. I need this. I need to be free. My feet trample along the dirt floor, snapping twigs and leaves. I've never been in a forest in my entire life. The trees dive towards the stars, narrowing the sky above me. Nothing matters anymore.

        He was out.

        There's no way he's going to catch me.

I laugh loudly and carefree. I really escaped. It's dark and the cold sinks into my bones, but the fiery instinct to run is overpowering. No one could stop me right now. I feel like a bird that's been set free from their cage, never to turn back. 

I've been out for only a few hours, maybe even less, and I can already feel the warmth of the sunrise on my back. It must have been midnight when that pathetic soiree began.

A chill runs through me at what I had done. The low I had sunken to. I could have found another way, but there was no time. It was pure luck he even left that door unlatched. Almost too lucky. It is a lot like all that fresh food I have had the surprise of finding each day for the past month, too good to be a coincidence. That must have been him.

        How long exactly has he been watching me? Observing my every move?

I ultimately need to forget all about this. I need to forget him, erase these past few days of torment. I'm never going to see that creep again.

My feet eventually crunch against soft grass, and I find myself in the middle of a green clearing. I sigh heavily and lay down in the middle of the field. The grass tickles my cheeks and brushes softly against my back. My eyes flutter closed, and I inhale the sweet scent of fresh grass and wildflowers. I curl up in a ball, the light of the sun bathing me in a warm glow, and fall into a peaceful sleep.

        I tell you, it's the best sleep I've had in five years. I should run from maniacs more often.

The sun is only a little ways past the center of the sky when I wake up. Wiping the sleepy drops formed on my eyelids, I survey the small clearing and find no trace of the evil chasing me. He would have to be awake by now and searching for me. The nearest road back to the city can't be more than a few hours away in this dense tree line. I'll find it, hitchhike to the next city, and find a new spot to squat.

"Spot to squat." I laugh under my breath and get up off the ground. Cricks and snaps resonate from my back when I twist out the aching muscles and bones. I was never a good runner and the energy I used will eventually take its toll. 

Hearing a snap from a few metres away I sprint off back into the dark forest. More snaps of breaking twigs echo around the area. He couldn't have found me that quickly.

I run and run and run, powering my legs to carry me as far as possible from the footsteps following far behind me. The steps are clumsy and heavy, unlike the calculating, slow ones that I had become accustomed to. Here goes nothing. I whip my head around to peer at the chasing party and I'm greeted by the complete opposite of sinister. 

        At least twenty metres behind me is a tiny old lady, with greying hair and a pink sundress.

She shifts from one foot to the other as she tries to navigate the canopy of roots covering the leafy floor. "Dear, can you slow down! You look lost and I want to help!" Her sweet voice calls out as she adjusts the tendrils of grey hair around her red cheeks.

I shake my head at the poor woman, and jog over to her. "Ma'am, what are you doing out here? It's dangerous."

She tuts at me. "Pish posh, I've got my old whacking cane! But no one would hurt an innocent, old lady anyway." In her wrinkled hand, she holds up a bright pink walking stick.