chapter one

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐥{ 𝑑

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐥
{ 𝑑. 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡𝑚𝑎𝑛 }

𝒥ℴ𝓊𝓇𝓃𝒶𝓁 ℰ𝓃𝓉𝓇𝓎 𝒪𝓃ℯ: 𝗎𝗌𝖺 𝗐𝗈𝗇𝖽𝖾𝗋𝗌

"I wasn't sure why he was kept as a mystery. He was such a sweet and loving boy, but all I knew was that the game was more important to him than anything else..."
- barrett liao germaine, 5/14/94

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

I COULDN'T SLEEP. No matter what I did, no matter how many times I tried to suffocate myself with my pillow that ironically smelled like cheese, I could still hear the people in the room across the hall in this lousy hotel. Of course the people next door had to be my brother and his annoying teammates.

I sat up from the uncomfortable queen sized bed, reaching to the nightstand beside me. I turned the lamp on between the two beds in the hotel room and looked to see my mother, who needed the sleep, still peacefully sleeping. Man did I wish my brother was sleeping too. There was a game tomorrow and they all needed the sleep.

I quietly grabbed my key card from the nightstand, slowly getting out of the bed so I wouldn't wake my mom. I tiptoed to the door, not even realizing my shoes laying in the middle of the floor. I unexpectedly tripped over it, landing on the ground with a loud thud. My body froze. I stopped breathing to stay completely silent in case I woke my mom up.

I slowly turned my view to the beds again, and luckily, she was still sound asleep like a baby. Well, maybe not like a baby. They cried all night and were annoying at times. I sighed in relief. I placed my hands on the floor in front of me and pushed myself up carefully and quietly. Soon I was back on my feet in one piece.

Heading to the door, I made sure I was being careful so it didn't creak when it opened and wake my mom. I made it out of the room safely, entering the hallway successfully.

I was tired, and exhausted, and I just wanted to sleep. But the idiots were being idiots and screaming all night. How they haven't gotten a noise complaint yet surprised me. Maybe the person at the front desk was too busy sleeping themselves like I wished I was doing.

I stood in front of the door across from my room where the noise was coming from. I looked down at myself real quick to see that I was in my oversized Ducks T-shirt and it didn't even look like I had spandex on! My hair was also in a messy bun, but I didn't care. Truly I was a wreck and I was okay with that.

I sighed and knocked on the door softly. The noise continued. I waited, and then knocked again making sure I was louder this time. Suddenly the noise stopped.

"I'll get it!" I heard a familiar voice yell. I heard a few giggles and a girl talking to someone. I furrowed my eyebrows. Why was everyone awake and laughing and not grumpy?