The beginning of it all - Part VI°

Once Irene arrived, she searched the pockets of her jeans for her cell phone so that she could light up with the flash.
Here she had no fear of using lights and little lights, they were totally hidden and no one would ever see them.
Sure, except for someone who traveled in the woods at night, but for all the years she'd done this she had never met any cheeky adventurer walking merrily at midnight among the trees.
And even if it had happened, Sioc was a carnivore, so if a good blow to the head did not make the unfortunate person forget what had happened, the bird of prey would do it to silence him.
Yes, a bit macabre as an idea and as thought, but what choice was there?
She didn't want to let anyone know that his friend was there, he didn't want to see him in the hands of scientists who were doing all kinds of experiments on him.
The very thought made her stomach twist with nausea.

"Sioc?Are you there? "She asked, looking around, usually the animal would come immediately to her when she said her name, but this time, however, Irene didn't feel any kind of movement in the shadows.
With the light of the flash, which darted left and right, she illuminated the various openings, even the most hidden.
With a lump in her throat she kept calling and searching, when he finally felt a movement behind him.

"Oh, thank goodness!
I thought they had kidnapped you or that you were gone ... "
She turned to look at her friend, but when he saw what was in front of him she jumped back and screamed.
"Oh my God!
A bird that got a tir in the face! "She pointed the flashlight at the barn owl and took a good look at it, trying to recover from the fright.

"Okay, either the egg hatched and a thing came out that will grow bigger than the Eiffel Tower or I don't know!" she blurted out suddenly not understanding what the hell was going on.
She made a wide circle around the raptor and noticed, to her surprise, that there was a saddle of brown leather on his back.
"Wow!Fantastic!
I tried to make one for Sioc, but it's impossible! "She exclaimed shocked.
"Whoever made it must be a true genius!"

"Well, thank you," replied a male voice from the bird's side.

"You speak?!" Irene jumped and took a few steps back.

Luka burst out laughing.
"It's not the barn owl, it's me!" came out from behind the bird of prey.
"Seen?I'm a human being, just like you. "

"Eih, but you're one of the guys who have been tormenting me all day!" she pointed to him almost accusingly.

The boy raised his hands like a wanted man in front of a police officer.
"Yes, that's me."

"Wait, is he yours?" Irene asked pointing to the animal.

Luka nodded.
"His name is Cydo and he's a striga from the Tyto barn owl family," the boy explained knowingly.

"A strige?" Irene asked, bowing her head in a confused way, she had never heard this name in her life.

"Stringe are a species of the Aves class and that is of the bird class.
And this species includes various races, such as crows, barn owls, harpies, parrots, condors and so on, "he explained.

"Wow, what strength!" exclaimed the enthusiastic girl, for some time she had been trying to understand what Sioc was, but now she had the answer.
He was a strige!
"So there are others like him.
Luckily, I thought he was the only one!
Do you also keep it hidden from others?
Do you think this place is good for Sioc?
Is it too small? "She began asking questions in flurry as if there was no tomorrow.

"Calm the hot spirits, now I'll explain everything, but first can you call your striga?
I'd like to see him up close, "said the boy overwhelmed by his questions.

"I'd like to, but I can't find it," she replied worriedly.
"Usually he never leaves the den and I've called him countless times before, but nothing ..."