The beginning of it all - Part IV°

"Are we kidding?" Naomi asked as she hurriedly pushed aside a dangling branch to avoid hitting him in the face.
"An egg cannot disappear like this!
He doesn't have legs! "

"Maybe he hatched," Damien shrugged trying to keep his sister under control, although when she was angry it was better to run for cover.

"No, I don't think so" Luka spoke, who was bent to the ground and had his right hand on the ground.

"There are drag marks and hoof prints, someone took him and took him out of here."

"Here, exactly!
How do we find him now? "Asked the girl starting to go completely crazy.

"Let's do a reconnaissance and see if we find anything," proposed the blond boy before putting his fingers to his mouth and whistling.
"If there are horse tracks, it will be someone from the stables."

"Yes you are right.
Useless to speculate while standing still "agreed Damien doing the same.

Naomi, on the other hand, sighed and didn't seem entirely convinced of it.

"But looking blindly won't help us ...But always better than sitting with our hands "he admitted then copying the two companions.
Three splendid birds of prey glided towards them with elegance and majesty, they had saddles on their backs and on their snouts there were reins twisted around their beak.
Luka was the first to go up.
He jumped elegantly on the back of a large pale gray barn owl and, with a small nod of his foot, the animal took off.
Naomi and Damien also climbed onto their ravens and followed their friend with the same movement.

"Let's split up, I'm looking north you think east and west, after which whoever finishes the reconnaissance first will head south.
If we do not find anything tomorrow we will investigate the farm "ordered the blond boy going up and heading towards the place where he intended to search.

"To the orders of the deputy commander" the dark boy made a military signal pulling the reins to the right, the same thing did Naomi who headed to the opposite side.

"The person who took him must not have gone very far ... Or at least I hope" Luka prayed with all his heart as he flew over the hills beside the woods.

He looked carefully at the landscape below and saw a small movement enter the tall trees, with thick and dark foliage, he was about to turn the reins as a sign of wanting to lower himself, but something behind him approached aggressively.
The boy turned and only a moment late did he realize he was facing a huge striga.With a quick move, he pulled on the right rein causing his partner to glide, prompting him to fold his wings and engage in an impromptu swoop.

The yellow leg of the unknown bird of prey closed a few inches from them, Luka could feel the tip of the claws brushing his hair.
The boy led the barn owl into the bush so that he could hide and prevent the other animal from entering.
The owl landed clinging to a tree with mighty branches and trunk.
His heart was beating wildly and his breathing was labored, a sign that he had taken an absurd fright.
Luka too had risked getting a heart attack due to the dangerous situation they had just experienced, he would never have expected another striga, much less so big.
The boy got off the barn owl and, with a firm grip, began to climb higher and higher, to be able to see that bird of prey again and be able to observe it better.
He reached the top with ease and began to observe the night sky, but there was no longer any trace of that animal.

It was gone.

The next day Irene woke up with a lighter heart and a happy and carefree soul.
She had done a really good job the night before and now, she couldn't wait to see the little animal come out of his shell and start interacting with Sioc.
She had no idea what kind of animal there might be inside, or rather, he knew with certainty that it was a bird, but it could be different from his friend and even a completely different species.
With a nice smile on her face she got out of bed and headed for the bathroom.
Passing by the mirror, placed over the sink, out of the corner of her eye she saw a great glow surrounding his reflected figure.
Irene turned to the mirror to get a better look at what it was, it seemed that her body was shining with its own light.
She began to look around to understand the cause of this bizarre phenomenon, perhaps the mother had left her make-up mirror on, or the sun had simply hit the window and hit the mirror.
In the end it didn't matter, she turned again to look at herself one last time before proceeding with her homework, but the light that used to surround her was now gone.
She shrugged and, ignoring what had happened, undressed and headed for the tub.

Once washed, she returned to her room, got dressed and went downstairs, where she smelled the smell of chocolate coming from the kitchen.
Irene stopped at the door jamb with a confused expression and saw her mother cooking something on the stove.
"How come you're still here?
You usually stay at the farm at this time."
The girl turned with a smiling face.

"Diego will return home tomorrow!" she announced happily.

"Really?
Is your study trip already over?"
Asked the daughter approaching the worktop and grabbing a slice of cocoa donut.

"Hey stop it!
That's for your brother "the mother warns her by waving the wooden ladle in the air, like a magic wand.

"Don't worry mom, I don't think Diego on his return will start eating it all" she pointed out and then asked if her father was at work.

"Yes, please go and help him" the woman nodded, continuing to make sweets after sweets.

"Okay," she nodded, grabbing another slice of donut.

"Remember you have to lead the nine o'clock walk and ... Stop eating!" the woman scolded her, threatening her with the ladle.

"Then I better go," said Irene, running away from her mother as she left the house.