Chapter 3

Adrien felt light on his feet and warm in his heart as he made his way up the stairs of the mansion to the front door. Even it's cold interior wasn't going to dampen his happiness. He had called their dinner together a date, and Marinette hadn't refuted it. That had to be a good sign right? Plus she was going to help him make the snickerdoodles tomorrow. He could almost smell them now.

Opening the door he found that the lights of the Christmas tree in the foyer were still on and Nathalie was pacing the floor with Edmond on her shoulder. He wasn't all that happy either.

"Is everything alright Nathalie? Where's Mrs Jeffries?"

"He's just a bit unsettled. Mrs Jeffries went home early. She said she wasn't feeling well." She continued to rock Edmond and pat his back.

"You look really tired Nathalie, I can take him if you want to go to bed." Adrien offered but Nathalie indicated her head towards the sitting room.

"Your father would like to talk to you." A look of panic suddenly washed across Adrien's face that looked very out of place on a young adult. Nathalie placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"It's alright Adrien, you're not in any trouble, he just wants to talk to you."

Adrien walked into the sitting room where his father was already seated. His back was to the door, but Adrien knew he had heard him enter. There was an electric fireplace in where the old wood fueled fireplace used to be. His father had replaced it years ago, and although Adrien knew it was more practical, he missed the smell of the wood fire.

"Come and sit Adrien." He heard his father's voice say. "Care for a drink?" Adrien saw the whisky bottle on the table, his father's glass already filled.

"No thank you Sir." He said as he sat in the opposite armchair.

"Was that Nathalie I heard still up?" Gabriel inquired, still not looking up from his glass.

"Edmond was unsettled, but I think he's falling asleep now." Gabriel hummed in acknowledgment before taking another swig of his drink.

"You love him a lot, don't you?" Gabriel asked. Adrien was somewhat taken aback by the question.

"Of course I do, he's my brother. I want what's best for him as I'm sure you do for Nathalie." Gabriel shifted a little uncomfortably in his seat.

"I have the highest regard for Nathalie. I...I care very much for her, and Edmond. I will always do the right thing by them." It wasn't quite what Adrien had hoped to hear, but it wasn't unsurprising. Adrien knew from bitter experience that his father wasn't the warmest man. Gabriel then picked up a tablet from the table and started scrolling.

"Was there something you wanted to talk to me about father?" Adrien asked, a little pensive. Gabriel nodded his head before turning the tablet around to Adrien. It was the picture that Alya had shown them from the Bistro.

"Am I correct in assuming that is Marinette Dupain-Cheng with you?" Gabriel asked. His voice was flat and unreadable.

"Yes, it is." Adrien said confidently. "I took her for a meal before we went Christmas shopping together." Gabriel nodded, switching the tablet off and laying it on the table.

"And when were you going to tell me that Marinette was your girlfriend?" Adrien swallowed and fidgeted his fingers.

"I...ah...haven't technically asked her yet." Gabriel quirked an eyebrow at him. "I was going to ask her to come with me to The Nutcracker performance. Kagami gave me her tickets since she won't be here now."

"I see." Gabriel said eyeing his son up and down. "You do realise I have a policy against employees dating?"

"But father..." Adrien went to protest, but Gabriel held up a hand to silence him.