I Understand

Avera had been tired for days since the encounter with the Dalek. She hadn't even had enough energy to eat, and was now even skinnier than she had been. She was practically nothing more than skin and bones.

Rose came in the room. Avera was too weak to open her eyes, but she could smell the other girl. "Avera?" Rose said softly.

Avera finally forced her eyes open. "Hm?" she grunted, using an extraordinary amount of energy just with the one meager sound.

"I brought you some chicken noodle soup," Rose said. "You should try eating it."

Avera struggled to pull herself to a sitting position on her bed, and then collapsed against the pillows. At least she was in a position that resembled sitting more than before.

Rose scooped a small amount of soup onto the spoon, and then put it in Avera's mouth. At the taste of food, her stomach instantly started growling. Rose smiled and gave her another scoop. Finally, the bowl was finished.

"I'll get more," Rose said, leaving the room.

As soon as Rose was gone, the Doctor stepped in. Avera's heart flipped in her chest.

"Hello," he said, smiling. "Feeling any better?"

Avera shrugged. It was easier to move after she had eaten, but not by much.

"So, how did you do it?" he asked, his eyes shining with excitement. "How did you use your body as a converter?"

Avera opened her mouth to tell him that she had no clue, but then Rose came back in.

"Stop it!" she chided. "I told you not to bombard her with questions, Doctor. She's sick, doesn't that worry you?"

"Well... Yes..." The Doctor said, looking away. "I'm sorry, it's just that this is something the Time Lords thought was just a myth. If we thought it wasn't true, it's amazing that it is!"

"Um..." Avera tried to clear her throat when her voice came out all scratchy and hoarse. "Wh-what are... Time Lords?"

"It's what I am," the Doctor said, his eyes suddenly going dark with a faraway look. What was he remembering? "We lived on a planet called Gallifrey."

"'Lived?'" Avera said, noticing the past tense. "What happened to them?" she asked, her voice soft.

"There was a war," The Doctor answered. "The last of the great Time Wars. Everybody lost. They're gone now."

Avera bit her lip and gazed at the Doctor for a moment. She felt like she could suddenly understand him a little bit better. She reached out and grabbed his hand, giving it one little squeeze. Their eyes met, and a silent message was passed.

The message said, 'I understand.' It said more than a million words could have.

---------------------------------------------

I KNOW I KNOW! Too short. But it's really just filler while I decide exactly what happens next. But it's a bit of a turning point in Avera's relationship with The Doctor. Hope you enjoyed, and I'll have something much more interesting-and longer-next time. :) À bientôt, mes amis!