ACT II. Scene I.

Rain pattered down from the sky and coated the sea of black below. The waves swayed in sorrow as Callum was sent into the Earth. Heaps of dirt reverberated off his coffin and I clung to Aiko's hand. I looked over at Connor who was standing at her other side. I had once imagined how the twins would be if they were separated and now I had my answer. Connor wept deeply for his beloved brother. There was no consoling his pain; it had to be let out and we all respected that. I looked over to my right and saw Tania. She clutched on to Darrius and sobbed into the warmth of his trench coat. It was a cold day to be a Stag and even colder day to be a human. Once Callum's body was covered people took their turn and laid down their bouquets. I walked slowly to the mound that held the once smiling prince. Suicide is what the papers would say in the morning, but I knew the truth. I prayed for his soul, crossed my chest, and tossed my flowers with the others.

"He was so happy." Aiko spoke as Connor laid against her chest.

After the funeral, the Stags conveyed beneath Callum's favorite oak tree. The memories of him scribbling in his pianist book surrounded us.

"Why?" Connor's voice, raw from crying, floated out.

"Shh." Aiko tried to console him. She stroked his hair and placed a kiss on his forehead. 

"Why didn't you help him?" My eyes widened, he was talking to me. A lump formed in my throat. What could I say? Callum had jumped from the roof of his own will, but could I have done more to save him? Should I have done more?

"I'm sorry."

Connor rose to his feet. "That's not good enough." His eyes sang with fire. He wanted to attack me. I could not blame him. When my sister died I wanted to fight the world.

"It's not her fault." Darrius stood in between us.

"Then who's fault is it?"

"Your brother killed himself. It was no one's fault but his own." Darrius was right, but as usual he was insensitive.

"My brother wouldn't have killed himself." Was he blaming me? Did he think that I pushed him?

"He did and trying to blame Rue isn't going to bring him back. Get it through your head."

"Fuck you." The words were a bold choice, but Connor was only a beta addressing his alpha. 

"Excuse me?" Darrius stepped forward.

"Darry don't." Tania moved quickly and grabbed his hand. She knew his nature better than any of us and I hoped she could restrain him.

"I said fuck you." Connor lunged and punched Darrius in the face. That was all it took for the blows to begin.

"Stop it guys! This isn't going to help!" Aiko cried out helplessly. The boys were going at it hard. Their primal instincts were on high alert as they tried to destroy each other. 

"Let go of him!" Tania jumped in and tried to pull Darrius off Connor. He had him pinned to the ground and delivered direct blows to his face. Blood spread over his knuckles. Tania's small limbs tugged at Darrius's shirt but he would not stop. She was going to get hurt. I jumped into the scuffle and grabbed the other side of the alpha's shirt. Together we tugged and pulled him off the grieving boy.

"Fight me bitch!" Tania and I did our best to hold the raging bull by the arms.

Aiko grabbed hold of Connor. His face was painted red and he spat on the ground.

"It's your fault!" He addressed me again. 

"There was nothing I could do!" I shouted, still trying to prevent Darrius from attacking.

"She didn't make him jump." Tania bolted in for my support.

"Just shut up! All of you shut up!" Aiko started to pull Connor away.

"Next time I see you you're dead! You're fucking dead." Connor's threats sliced through the air.

"I'd like to see you try you Aussie piece of shit." Darrius would never back down.

"Connor come on." Aiko pulled harder and led Connor away from his brother's favorite place.

"Get off of me." Darrius ripped his arms from us and paced beneath the tree. 

"I should kill him. I should fucking kill him."

Tania moved to get in his way and stop the pacing.

"You aren't going to kill anyone."

Darrius wasn't listening. The scent of rage still lingered on his body. He wanted to strike again.

"Look at me Darry!" Tania grabbed the hand of her young lover and his movements stopped.

"You aren't going to kill anyone. He isn't worth it." Each word rolled slowly off her tongue and I could see Darrius's face relax. Had they had this conversation before? He leaned forward and the two kissed deeply. What a time for me to feel envious.

"I'm sorry." He said as their noses lingered together.

"It's okay. I'm here." The beauty had tamed her beast.

Tania turned to me. "I'm going to take him to his room. Will you be okay?"

There was a kindness to her voice that I did not recognize.

"Yeah I'll be fine."

"Cool." She nodded and the two walked away leaving me behind. I stood there, alone under the oak tree. I closed my eyes and the sweet sound of Callum's piano filled my ears.