Chapter 2- Curious

Alyssa's Point Of View

• • •

1st Period Bell just rung, I just now lifted my head to see an unfamiliar afro sitting in front of me. I sigh, right when I WANT to pay attention he has to sit in front of me. Mr.Dill was about to do role call, him being the exciting (sarcasm intended) teacher he is, decides to go down the list, backwards. Hip-hip hooray. -_- My name was called first. "My presence is a present, you welcome." I smile at my own little sense of humor, the class giggles, Mr.Dill gives me a hard glare, and the unfamiliar kid just stares at me. Then it dawned on me, this had to be the new kid the girls were talking about! Boy, they did not exaggerate one bit. This boy was fine, fine being an understatement, he was downright perfect. The girl from earlier popped into my mind "Bless his DNA-" I giggle, not realizing how loud my outburst was. "Ms.Westbrooks? Is slavery really that amusing to you?" Mr.Dill's voice boomed across the room to me. I gave him a glare, "If you haven't noticed, I'm half African American. So no, I don't find it amusing at all that my ancestors could have possibly been treated that poorly and put to work for free and at horrid extremes. How about you, Mr.Dill? Is it amusing to you?" I furrow my eyebrows at him, a smirk curving at my lips. "Good job...." I heard someone whisper, I looked up to see Afro Puff, I inspected him intensely getting lost in his deep brown chocolatey eyes, looking at his perfectly plump lips, and his chiseled jawline, realizing I was probably staring I said "Alyssa." He looked at me, tilting his head to the side, obviously he was innocently confused, so I decided to clear it up for him. "The name is Alyssa." He nodded, "Oh, haha. I swear I'm not slow, just had a blank out." He said laughing. "Wouldn't bet on that one." I said giving a sincere smile, first one in a while.

• • •

I walked into the cafeteria, I got a chicken salad with Italian dressing, and sat my usual table, which was way more crowded than the regular. Then I realized why, Jake (Afro Puff) was sitting there. In 1st hour we had gotten super close and we shared lots of laughs and a bunch of smiles. I sat beside Craig, which means I was sitting in front of Afro Puff. (I honestly like Afro Puff better than his name) He gave a genuine smile and a wave, I returned the favor and started to eat. Craig kept tickling me under the table, making me burst out laughing uncontrollably. I got weird glances from everyone but Craig, and they soon figured out why. "Hands-- to y-your-- self, Mr.-- Crippen!" I say while laughing my guts out, soon the whole table was laughing. I finally stopped laughing and began to eat my food again. Afro Puff kicked me under the table and started smiling, and I returned the favor. He gave me a fake pouty face, and mouthed "Ouch!" and I gave him a kissy face. The table had gotten noticeably quiet so we looked back and everyone was staring at us, Roc finally said something "*cough cough* Couple material. *cough cough*" Everyone up-roared in laughter. Afro Puff and I kept doing things to intentionally get on each others' nerves, still receiving stares from the group, but oh well. We were now throwing pieces of food back and forth at each other, having our own little food fight. We walked out of lunch hand in hand, like a couple, but we weren't one--and weren't going to be one-- wait, right? Right.

• • •

When the last bell of the day rang, I couldn't wait to leave. But, Jake and I soon were walking side by side, hand in hand, waist to hip, talking. We were receiving stares some in hopes of a great couple, others in jealousy of how close Jake and I had got. "See you tomorrow?" I ask, un-intertwining our fingers. "Yeah, definitely Bonita." he said smiling and rubbing my chin with his thumb, slow and gentle, before slipping me a piece of paper. He kissed my cheek, making me blush, and walked off.. On the paper it had his number, I smiled to myself.

I felt all mushy and gooey..

I don't know what this feeling is, but I like it.

I don't know what this relationship is, but I'm enjoying it..

And you just might say I'm "curious" to where this would lead.