Chapter 1 - Before the Battle of Trost District

-5 years later-

"Prepare for the mission. We leave by mid day."

Hearing one of the commander's squad member announce as everyone was getting their horses, carts, and the like ready. I was filling my squad with the information that we were told to announce to them from the meeting the previous night.

"We'll have to see what we can find, Emma." I told my comrade. Emma Johnson of Trost District is my squad's intellect and a close friend of mine ever since I moved to Trost. You coyld say she's my childhood friend along with her brother.

"Alright, but you do know I made a bet with Section Commander Hanji... Right?" She responded.

"What bet is it this time, Em?" Karl Johnson, Emma's twin brother, was one of our strongest in my squad. Though Emma's minutes older, their roles are somehow, well, reversed.

"Oh you know -"

"FIRST TO CATCH ANOTHER TITAN!" Hearing Hanji by the main door of HQ. I sighed.

'Typical Hanji and her titans'

"HANJI-SAN I'M TELLING YOU I'M GOING TO WIN THIS TIME!" Emma said with determination. Hanji just laughed playfully at Emma who also did the same. These 2 are our titans research-experts.

"Captain? Is there anymore information regarding the mission we'll be going to outside the wall?" Our new member, Hans Wright, asked. He was from Wall Maria. Knowing that he had a traumatizing event that happened, he still manages to pull himself back up and joined the Scouts Regiment.

"That's the only information I can tell. Commander's orders." I responded to his query.

"Hopefully we can establish a base?" My right hand, Leo Becker, hesitated at asking. I just shrugged my shoulders though I knew the answer. "We'll see."

"Amaya."

I looked at the direction of someone who called me and it was none other than...

"Captain Levi!" My squad greeted and saluted.

"A word with your captain." He said and I simply nodded and followed him.

"Guys go near the commanding unit at the center. Wait for me there." I ordered and they saluted and proceeded heading to the center.

We walked farther from the crowd of squads and into a quiet area.

"Everything alright?" I asked.

"You left something from my office." He said as he was taking out something from his pocket. I started to think about the possible things I could accidentally have left in his office.

My Cape? No I'm currently wearing it.

Mom's bracelet? On my wrist

My knives? Still attached to my gear.

"Huh? I could've sworn I never left anything there." I said as kept thinking hard enough on what I could possibly have left there.

He suddenly took my left hand and placed something on my ring finger. "Your promise ring."

I looked at it with amusement. How was he even able to have had this made when he's always around and about with paperwork, meeting, missions...

"I was supposed to give it to you on your birthday but thanks to the damn mission I missed it." He explained. It was a gold ring with the sapphire gem that the High Kingdom is known for (considering that the High Kingdom is on mountains and I'm not sure if my ancestors named it 'High' because it's high up tje mointains. Don't worry I don't getvmyself either).