Chapter 2) Healing Hearts

I dried my thick brown hair. I had naturally black hair but when I first escaped, I came across a little convenience store. I had to knock out a couple guards on the way out. I pick pocketed one. I left the cards but took the cash. It was $43. Luckily, they had some brown box dye. I grabbed box dye, a backpack, some snacks, water, scissors and some mace. I stuffed them into my backpack where my black cloak my mother sewn for me was. Luckily, on my way out of the center, I had came across it. I went to the bathroom in the convenient store and dyed my hair right there in the sink. I also chopped a couple inches off.
   I bought a cup of coffee and waited until my hair was mostly dry before going out in the freezing air. Thank goodness it was spring now.
   I'm so glad I'm safe in a pack now, but I can't stay long. He'll find me and demolish this pack. It's not fair to them.
   "Xerxes," I called out to him mentally. "Is something wrong Kela?" Came his voice. I smiled as he's quickly becoming a friend. "No, but I think I can help your alpha. Where's his room?" I asked. "I really don't think this is a good idea. But I won't stop you. Leave out your door, turn right and go down the hall. It's the door all the way straight down," he instructed me. I followed his directions before sending a thanks. I rapped gently on the door. Nothing. I pressed my ear to the door and rapped again.
   The door was almost yanked off my hinges before the alpha yelled, "What!" I gulped before answering, "I think I can help you." He looked me up and down before chuckling and saying, "If you're trying to seduce me, then you're wasting your time," he said sneering. I cocked an eyebrow and replied, "That was NOT what I meant! Being a elemental, sometimes you have independent powers. I have healing. I could heal you. You wouldn't be perfect. You'd still remember her and would still hurt but not on this level."
   At this, he opened the door wider to allow me inside. He took a seat on the bed while I sat in a chair opposite to the side of the bed. "I'm scared of losing this pain. It's the only thing that's keeping me alive, so I can avenge my love," he said. I nodded, "I understand. I watched my mom die. My dad tried to avenge her and died. But he also wanted to die. He couldn't live without her," I told him my story.
   I felt his hand on mine, "I'm so sorry... What's your name?" I let out a little chuckle at that before answering, "My name is Akela. My friends either call me Kela or Lala." He nodded his head, "I'm Alpha Kodiak. My friends call me Alpha Kodiak." I giggled at that. He was a serious man.
   "So, how does this work?" Kodiak asked. "I'll place one hand on your heart, and one on your temple, my hands will glow which means it's working," I told him. He nodded, "Ok, I'm willing to try it". I placed my hands on his temple and one on his heart. He closed his eyes tightly. It took no time for my hands to start glowing.
   And then it hit me. His memories of her. She was beautiful! She had beautiful curly red hair and these light brown caramel eyes. There was a smatter of freckles across her nose and cheeks. She was in a beautiful yellow sun dress running in a field of multicolored wildflowers. She was being chased by her mate. She had a beautiful smile. The memories flashed by, her painting, reading books to kids, making homemade soup to take to sick people, her and the alpha making love, and 100 more memories, and then to her death where she was being chased in the forest by a brown colored rogue with a scar running down his left eyebrow, stopped at the top of his eye, and started again at the bottom of his eye. I watched as she pleaded for her life. She was pregnant. I watched as the scarred rogue tore her throat out, then nothing. It was over.
   I backed away from the now peaceful sleeping alpha and cried. I felt like I knew her now. She was so kind, pure, and selfless. She was always thinking of other people more than herself. She was the true embodiment of a Luna.
   I made my way back to my room. "Xerxes, I think he's going to be okay now," I told him, trying to stop the tears. I could hear his doubtful reply, "We'll see." I'm so thankful for being able to probe into some people's heads. It made it so much easier. I couldn't do it with an alpha though. Only beta's and under.
   I climbed into the comfy bed and I turned the tv on. I liked sleeping with the tv on. The light provided comfort from the dark while the audio provided comfort from the silence at night. And I soon drifted off too sleep.
         Flashback
"You'll never escape me, so why do you run?" He taunted me. I remained silent for it did no good for me to open my mouth. He had left the door opened to where I could escape, but it was all a test. A test I had failed in his eyes. But I would never stop trying to escape. Never.
   He took my silence as disrespectful. He closed the two feet gap between us and smacked me hard right across the face! But I would not grunt. I would not yell or scream or bellow or whimper! He would not get the satisfaction out of hurting me.
   "Stupid girl," he muttered under his breath. "Murderer," I retorted. After my parents were dead, I was too frozen in fear and despair to run. Of course I was snatched as I was what he wanted. My friends, parents, my Luna and Alpha were all dead thanks to me. The rest of the pack were turned into slaves.
I hissed feeling a prick in my skin. I was too lost in my own personal nightmare and stopped watching what he was doing. He injected me with another medicine. Great. I hope it kills me.
I truly thought I was getting my wish as the medicine quickly took me over. I started thrashing around on the bed in pain, but was locked in wrist and ankle restraints. They weren't easy to break through.
"Guess the vaccine doesn't work. What am I going to do? Ah-ha! We'll try batch 327 when the side effects die down," the mad scientist talked to himself. I pray someday for the chance of killing him.
I jolted awake alarmed from the nightmare. I looked at my wrists that were scarred and chaffed from my time with the madman. But to be honest, I had a lot worse scars than this. I got up and looked out the window, making sure no one was out there. The window was locked already thank goodness. It's going to be a long night.
____________________________________
12/22/2020 at 1:15 am. Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting. I truly appreciate it. I hope you like this chapter but don't get too excited about Kodiak and Akela because it's  just not going to happen! Please let me know if there are any grammar issues or misspelling. The female protagonist is played by actress Mia Kirshner. 1,288 words.