Chapter 1) Found

I thought I had put it behind me. But the past came to me in the form of flashbacks of the nightmare I lived just months ago. Tears were streaming down my face as I was hyperventilating with my back against a tree. You're probably wondering what brought this on? It was that dang Armani cologne that my tormenter always wore. I was trying to quietly take my backpack off as I had mace in there but to no avail. It would be too noisy. How did he find me? I had shielded not only my smell but also my aura so no one would know who I was. As a full elemental, I had those powers.
I prayed silently as the smell of the cologne got closer and closer. I could hear the twigs and leaves crunching underneath his feet.
I shut my eyes as I was preparing to be snatched up. But nothing happened. I knew I had to do something. He had to know I was here. I took my knife from my sheath and jumped up while yelling, "I won't go back to that research facility." But, he wasn't here. Instead, there was a burly man. "Done now?" He asked condescendingly. Before I could answer, he continued, "What are you doing on our property? You know the alpha isn't too kind to rogues." I didn't even know I was on their territory.
   "I'm sorry. I'm trying to escape from a bad man. He wears the same cologne as you. I'm really tired. And I need a shower," I told him. I could feel his judgmental stare on my body. I was dirty and bruised. When my wolf got tired of running and needed a nap, I'd take over which was why my clothes are damp, and I was dirty.
   The man chuckled, "Why would we help a lone wolf?" When you didn't have a pack, you were one of two things: Either a rogue or lone wolf. A lone wolf either left a pack or they're  a survivor of pack annihilation. A rogue is someone who was banished or exiled from a pack for bad deeds. I swallowed the lump in my throat before answering, "Because I'm the Elemental Wolf." At my answer, the mans eyes widened and his mouth parted. "I truly hope you can help me and not take advantage of my honesty," I said hopeful. "Show me," he simply said. I calmed myself before calling my powers to the front. They swirled around me. The man was amazed and marveled at the sight. I reigned then back in and he said, "This way."
He guided me through the forest to the pack house. "My name is Xerxes. I'm the beta of the pack," he introduced himself to me. I looked at him before saying, "My names Akela. Nice to meet you." After a thirty minute trek, we were finally there. The people outside stared at me as I was an outsider. The packhouse was big and had smaller houses surrounding. My old pack used to have the same set up.
We finally reached the mahogany wood doors. Before Xerxes could even open the door, a man came flying out of it. His seething eyes landed on me. He bared his teeth and let out a ferocious growl before looking at the beta and asking, "Why isn't this rogue handcuffed?"
The beta looked a bit scared before replying, "She's not a rogue. She escaped from a facility." He looked at me. "Handcuff her and put her in the dungeon", he said. I could smell the alcohol coming off of his breath as he was only inches away.
I couldn't let this escalate anymore, "No, I'm the..."
Before I could even finish he lunged at me paws out. I put my hands in front of my face. But instead of him inflicting wounds on my already wounded body, a strong wind wrapped me up in its presence before I heard a loud crash. I peeked and put my hands down, the alpha was lying on the floor.
"Elemental," he spoke through gritted teeth. Why did this guy hate me so much? I decided on not telling him I was the Elemental Wolf. Who knew what he would do if he knew how powerful I was.
I focused on my powers trying to get into the beta's head. I finally managed to get into Xerxes's head, "Xerxes, please don't tell him that I'm full elemental. I don't trust him." I noticed he side-eyed me and nodded 'yes'. Phew. I didn't need anyone else trying to wield me as a tool. The alpha growled out at his beta, "Why didn't you tell me she was an elemental wolf?" Xerxes sighed before answering his alpha, "Alpha, she was trying to tell you earlier that she was an elemental wolf when you lunged at her."
The alpha sighed while his eyes glistened. Was he going to cry? Alphas don't cry. "I'm never going to be able to avenge her," the alpha said before walking to a chair and sitting down. On the table beside the chair was a half drunken bottle of scotch. He grabbed the bottle and tipped it up. "Tawny," the beta hollered. A woman walked in, "Yes, Beta Xerxes." He gestured at the alpha before requesting, "Please take the alpha to his room." The woman nodded before helping the alpha up the stairs.
"Akela, come. Let me show you to your room," Xerxes said. I followed him up the stairs where alpha and tawny previously went. But I couldn't help asking, "What's wrong with the alpha?" The beta looked at me uncomfortably, "He lost his mate a few months ago. He hasn't been hisself ever since. He started drinking and quit taking care of pack duties. That's why he hates rogues. It was a rogue who killed her. He was a completely different man before that." I judged the alpha too quick. He wasn't a mean man, just someone who lost their other half. I know what that does to a person. I watched it happen to my father.
                           Flashback
I remember that day so well as it's one I'll never forget. The day that madman annihilated my pack.  As they invaded our lands, my mother gave me a gift, "This was meant as your eighteenth birthday gift. It's a cloak. Put it on and go out into the darkness. I quickly put it on. It was way too big for my ten year old body. But I was soon snatched up by the madman. I watched as my mother was killed. My dad was telling me he loved me as he held my mother's lifeless body. He would rather die than live without her. I remember the pain and sorrow he held in his eyes. He stood up and tried to kill the man that was holding me but was struck down. He crawled to my mother's body to give her one last kiss as he died, and it was all my fault.
                           Back to present
"Akela, are you okay?" I came back to the present. I hadn't even noticed I had stopped walking. Something wet was on my face. I brought my hand up to my face to wipe it away. Tears? "I'm sorry. I was just having a flashback of my parents," I told the man. He nodded, still looking concerned. He walked me into a decent sized room. It had a queen bed, 2 dressers, a body sized mirror, a tv, and a vanity with a hairbrush and makeup. He led me through a door that had an en suite. It had a single vanity, a toilet and a garden tub. I couldn't wait to get in that tub as I was filthy.
"I'm going to leave you to it. There's clothes in the dresser. If you need anything, just call for me," Xerxes told me. "Thank you so much for your hospitality," I said nodding my head. He soon after left. I peeled out of my dried mud covered shoes and clothes and I jumped into the bath to get clean. I scrubbed myself with a lemon verbena body scrub and washed my hair in some Rusk labeled shampoo and conditioner. I finally smelled good. Luckily, there was a pack of razors. I've been on the lam now for almost five month so I couldn't wait to shave my legs and all.
I was now in a men's white tee and some blue boxers and grey pajama shorts. Luckily, the shorts were a women's small so they stayed on my waist. I was about to climb my exhausted body into bed when I thought about the hurting alpha. Maybe, just maybe I could help him.
____________________________________
12/21/2020 at 10:17 pm. Thank you for reading my first chapter of my new book 'The Elemental Wolf'. I hope you like it so far. Please don't forget to vote and comment what you'd like to see in the future chapters. So, how could Helena help him? 1, 511 words.