Prologue

Long time no see people! OK so I have started on this story and I am not sure if I should continue so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyways... lets.... read... already...

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The figures close in on us faster in every second that passes on. It seems that for every one that falls, three more replace them. Not even the power generated by the four companions centered in the building could overcome the relentless attacks made by the wave of Gifted. Our energy was dwindling down until eventually the heart breaking truth of this situation fell down upon us like a storm.

We were going to lose.

I was never going to gaze upon the faces of the people that have become a family to me again. I was never going to show them how much I cared for them. This must be the end of this cruel test of life. And I have failed.

***

In this world everyone's existence is like a big, complicated, multiple choice test. Many pass and go on to live happy lives full of love and content. Then there are those that fail, and they are miserable and depressed and face the negative consequences that come with answering poorly. The beginning is easy to miss, it is something that you were never taught, so you guessed. This test starts with a basic question you answer when you are born, at the start of your quiz. You read the question first and it asks, "What is your gift?" After that you choose one of the eight answers that follow:

A.) Human- (A non-gifted creature that makes up most of earth's population and is almost completely unaware of the rest of us.)

B.) Day gifted- (They bend the light around them to make blinding brightness or complete darkness. The can also control the air around them, the temperature and the weather to some extent.)

C.) Earth gifted- (They control the ground beneath us which includes metal, rock, and dirt. They are our craftsmen and are extremely strong.)

D.)Fire gifted-(They create fire out of thin air and are surprisingly one of the stronger gifts to have. They are my least favorite.)

E.)Water Gifted- (Can take water from any source, including the air, and bend it to their will. They can freeze the water and even create small storms if they have enough strength.)

F.)Nature Gifted- (Control the plant life around them and are particularly fond of animals. They are the most peaceful of the gifted.)

G.)Dark Gifted- (More commonly known as "night gifted" they control the evil powers in the world and their abilities include manipulating and reading dreams, and if they're strong enough, minds. They can disappear into the shadows, making them extremely difficult to find.)

F.) All of the above...

Also known as multiples, these Gifted are the rarest of all. They are the most powerful and are thought to have died out long ago in the Elemental Wars. So naturally, all of the other Gifted hate them.

That is what I am.

My parents kept my existence secret as soon as they learned what I was. So they did since I was born. When a Gifted is born you can tell what their power is by the color of their eyes. (Day- gold, Earth-Grey, Fire- Red, Water-Blue, Nature- Green, Darkness- Black) My Mom's were blue and my Dad's were the same but mine- mine change color. (I prefer them blue but whatever...)

This is the number one way to detect a multiple. As I later learned the colors are a mood detector. My parents told me every Multiple's mood colors are different. For example, when I am mad my eyes turn green and for another Multiple when they are mad their eyes may turn red.(Note: Some of my emotions- Green=annoyed/angry, blue=calm/happy/excited, black=sad/depressed, gold=disgust/aversion, yellow=fear/pain.) My actual powers did not set in until my tenth birthday. They taught me the basics for a few months until New Year's Day, the day my parents were killed in front of me.

I never figured out why they killed them I am just grateful they didn't find me. I never even figured out what kind of Gifted they were. I guess I wasn't really thinking about it and as soon as they were gone I ran out into the woods as a 10-year-old runaway. I taught myself to survive in the woods and how to keep my identity hidden in the cities. I also have developed my powers non-stop to the point that I have been able to conquer any of my enemies with almost no effort. It was surprisingly easy to master. So now every hostile Gifted that discovers me is dead and all of the more altruistic Gifted are sworn to secrecy. I may seem cruel but when you live my life that is what you have to do to stay alive.

I have spent most of my time in the woods with animals and nature and when I do venture into the cities my visits are brief. When in the cities I can see Gifted all around but thanks to sunglasses and contacts, few have discovered me in the seven years I have been on the run. That is the reason the woods are a better place for me, not to mention no one ever travels that far into wilderness.  Except for thieves and felons of course.

So that is pretty much how the life of Sapphire has been most of her life. Always running, hunting, fighting, and surviving. That was how I thought it would be the rest of my life. That was until I met that person in the woods that would pull me into a world that would change my life forever...

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I know it is not the best ever but cut me some slack! I am not exactly an experienced writer. Don't forget to comment and vote!(You know, if you want)

Love,

Ronda