Chapter 20

Hermione hadn't been gone for ten minutes when a flock of owls began bombarding Draco's windows. Every single letter requested, if not demanded, an interview with him about Erin Andrews. Judging by the sheer volume of letters, Draco thought every reporter at the Prophet had written him, in addition to several people from wizarding magazines.

The last thing Draco wanted to do was sit in front of a stranger and answer questions about what he had done, and, more specifically, why he had done it. No doubt whatever answers he gave would be analyzed from as many angles as they could think up, and certainly his motives would be questioned.

However, the thought of a reporter showing up at his office the following day was horrific, so he quickly showered, dressed, and randomly selected one of the letters. Virginia Merriweather, of the Daily Prophet, had unwittingly secured an exclusive interview.

The article based on his interview was broken into parts, with the first piece published the following day, including a large, full-color, moving picture that alternated from him in Death Eater regalia to him in jeans and a T-shirt in Diagon Alley, smiling at something off camera. He lost his appetite for breakfast upon seeing it and had no desire to read the attached story.

He'd barely finished washing the breakfast dishes when someone knocked on the door. As he dried his hands, Draco placed a bet with himself as to who it was. He doubted Hermione would come alone, but maybe with someone, and he wouldn't put it past the entire Weasley clan to show up again. Surely Harry or Hermione would have talked them out of such an idea, knowing how much he would hate all the attention. As he turned the knob and opened his door, Draco at last settled on his visitors being Harry and Ron. He was silently pleased with his own accuracy.

"Morning," he quipped with false cheerfulness. "What brings you two out on this fine morning? Come to help me weed?"

Harry and Ron, familiar with Draco's sarcasm, ignored his comments and lumbered through the door with a quick greeting. They sat on his sofa, while Draco chose to stand, leaning against the entryway, and staring out the window. He knew why they were there, and they had to know that he knew. The air was thick with anticipation.

Finally Harry spoke. "We, er, saw the paper this morning."

"Is it true?" Ron added quickly.

Draco rolled his eyes. "What, you don't trust the Prophet to always print the truth?" Then he sighed and sank into an armchair. "Yes, it's true. Merlin, I hate the attention."

"Did you read what they're saying about you?" Harry asked.

"No, and I'd rather not," he grumbled, giving his friend a pointed look. "I can guess well enough. Some good things, some bad things, a dab of speculation here and there, toss in my father's name for good measure. That about right?"

"Nearly," said Ron. "Mum got all emotional reading the girl's story. She wanted to come right over and hug you, but Harry told her it would be best to wait."

"Thanks, mate," Draco said, nodding gratefully to Harry.

"I don't think that'll hold them off for long, I'm afraid. Ginny got a bit teary as well, but then she's extremely emotional anyway these days."

"Right. Not too long now, is it?" Draco inquired.

"Month and a half," said Harry, grinning ear to ear.

"Let's focus, shall we?" said Ron. "We don't want to grill you or anything, but we are curious. Who is this woman, Sarah, and why haven't you mentioned her?"

Draco was surprised. "Isn't there something in the article about her?"

"A bit," Harry supplied. "They mentioned that she's a Healer at St. Mungo's, the one working with the girl, but they're running a full story on her tomorrow. Today it was mostly about you."

Draco scowled. "Lovely," he muttered. "She'd better get just as much attention than me tomorrow, if not more. She's the one who has been working with Erin and her family for months."

Harry continued. "Well, I don't think she'll be suffering from a lack of attention. The interview with you ... well, there was a bit of speculation that the two of you were involved."

Draco scoffed. "I met her three days ago. We're certainly not involved."

Harry and Ron exchanged a glance. Then Ron said, "A few people said they saw you two Saturday night, at dinner."

Bugger. "And who have you been discussing this with?" he asked.

"I tried to talk to Hermione this morning, but she wouldn't answer her door. Or her Floo. So, it's just been me and the Weasleys," said Harry.

Brilliant. No doubt the article mentioned the shape and cut of Sarah's dress and twisted everything the witnesses had seen into something it wasn't. "I met her Friday afternoon. It has been a long and full weekend. We had dinner Saturday night, but it meant nothing. She wanted to thank me for helping the Andrews."

"Well, you should know that's not what they're saying," Ron remarked.

"I don't care what they're saying," said Draco angrily. "They'll say anything to sell a story, or even one more issue. I am not seeing Sarah, and I have no intention of seeing her."

"We believe you," Harry assured him. "I did wonder, considering what you told me after Pansy's party ..."

"What?" said Ron, frowning. "What did you tell Harry? Why didn't you tell me?"

Draco shut his eyes and groaned.

"Ron doesn't know?" Harry asked, confused.

"No, Ron doesn't know!" insisted Ron. "Tell Ron!"

Draco made no response, just shrugged, his eyes still closed.

"He loves Hermione."

"I knew it!" shouted Ron, almost jumping out of his seat. "I mean, not that you love Hermione, but I knew there had to be a reason you never dated! Not because you aren't attracted to women, not because they weren't interested in you." He clapped his hands together, clearly unsure of what to do with them. "You great tosser, why didn't you tell me?"

"It's not exactly my favorite conversation topic," Draco replied quietly. "It's highly complicated and I don't want you talking to her about it."

"Oh, sure thing," said Ron, grinning. "I won't tell her. When are you going to ask her out? She's broken up with Fred, you know. Now's your chance, mate!"

"Ron, give him a minute to breathe!" said Harry.

Draco sent him an appreciative look. "I'm perfectly capable of dealing with ... this on my own, Ron, thank you. All I need from you is to keep your mouth shut around her."

Harry stood abruptly. "We should go. You've got a lot going on, and I doubt that's going to change any time soon. The interview is supposed to be in the paper for the next three days. Tomorrow they'll run a story on Sarah and the girl's parents." He hesitated. "They're really harping on about the parents being Muggles."

"I imagined they would," Draco muttered. "The witch who interviewed me could barely say a full sentence without mentioning that fact, so I am not terribly surprised. This was my first public act of benevolence directed toward a Muggleborn."

"Want us to say anything to Hermione for you?" asked Ron, following Harry's lead and standing.

"No, absolutely nothing." Draco stood, giving his friends a severe look. "She knows better than to believe everything she reads in the paper." At least, he hoped she did. "I know you want to help, but you should leave it to me."

"You sure?" Ron asked.

"Positive."

Over the next three days the rest of the interview was published. As he'd anticipated, every answer he'd given was taken apart, put under a microscope, and analyzed ad nauseum, and everything he had done in the war, both good and bad, was dredged up and scrutinized again. At least, that's what Harry told him when he visited Draco later in the week. Draco still refused to read a word of it.