CHAPTER FOUR

When things start going for you, you hardly keep a track of time. Amidst new jobs, financial independence, new people, and exploring new places, three years flew by. With all three of them being placed in the same city, life was great for the three musketeers. Every dream was starting to blossom into reality except their start-up. That was the thing that wasn't moving according to the plan. Right after the first six months of their joining, Sid and Punit started approaching investors but, till then, none of the meetings turned out to be a fruitful encounter. Some said that they lacked experience, some were of the views that their core team wasn't good enough since they didn't have anybody with a business degree while the rest believed that their five year projection and the breakeven point weren't realistic enough.

Three years of job life had put a dent on the hunger of entrepreneurship that once Punit had. Be it because of the paycheque, a happy work environment, his desire to settle down with Ayesha or three years of continues rejections, he wasn't as keen about the business as he was in college. He was in a comfort zone and to risk it all for the sake of starting a business wasn't that appealing to him anymore.

"You should talk to Sid." Voiced Tarun, one of his colleagues. He was a batch mate of the trio who was recruited by the same company that took in Punit. They weren't too close to each other in college but being in the same company from day one made them friends.

"And what should I tell him?" Asked Punit without diverting his attention from the laptop.

"Tell him that you don't want to be a part of that business. He deserves to know the truth."

"I know, but I don't want to hurt him," he said, taking a break from his work. "Look, the business is not going to happen without funding and till the time we are getting funded, nothing changes. And if we get funded then I will think about it."

"You are making it complicated," warned Tarun. "When it comes to close ones, it's always better to speak your heart."

"Not if that hurts them," Countered Punit. "And if our idea gets funded then I think it's very much worth a shot."

"Look man, as a friend, I want to remind you something. Sid isn't going to quit. He is obsessed with it. So, if you are waiting for him to give up so that you don't have to spit out the truth, you are living a fool's dream. In the last three years, every time we met, he only spoke about the business. He has convinced himself that if he doesn't give up, it's going to work. There is no easy way out for you."

"I don't remember the last time when anything positive came out from that big mouth of yours. Friends talk to each other so as to make each other feel comfortable. I always end up being more worried after talking to you." Punit truly felt uncomfortable with the facts that were highlighted by Tarun and didn't want to extend that conversation any further. "I don't want to think about this now. Tomorrow we have a meeting with an investor and I want to keep my head clear." He diverted his attention back to his laptop and said, "I need to work now. I am on leave tomorrow and I have to finish at least half of my tomorrow's schedule before I go home tonight."

On the other hand, Sid still had his blinkers on. He wasn't the one who could be swayed away from his focus because of month end payslips and failures. In fact, with each failure, he became more dedicated and focussed towards the idea. Tarun wasn't wrong about Sid. The failures over the last three years had transformed his passion into obsession. He knew that it won't be easy but he wasn't ready to accept a version of his life where he wasn't an entrepreneur or not trying to be one.

***

It was a Thursday. Sid and Punit had a meeting with a group of investors and like all their previous meetings, that too wasn't a success. Since Punit and Sid had already taken leaves from their respective offices that day, the three friends decided to meet at the go-to dating venue of Ayesha and Punit, the coffee shop just below Ayesha's office, so that even she could join them for some time without disrupting her schedule.