CHAPTER SEVEN

It was a tensed Wednesday for Punit. He was supposed to meet Ayesha at six in the evening and be at her place by seven but he was already at the café by five. Throughout the day, he was restless and was unable to concentrate on his work. His focus was more on his watch than the laptop. He even visited the office's gym but he wasn't allowed to workout in formals. He dejectedly came back to his cubicle and was somehow able to chain himself down to it till four but after that he gave up.

Within half an hour he reached his destination but sitting there without Ayesha made him realize that he was better in the office. The café wasn't helping his anxiety at all, rather, it made it worse. It made him feel as if the battle had already started. For a brief moment he thought of having some whiskey to calm down his nerves, but he luckily remembered the occasion and decided to stay sober. For some odd reasons, not telling anything to Sid was bothering him the most. He was unable to accept the fact that they were going through one of the most important events of their lives and Sid had no clue about it. Twice he thought of calling him up and inform him everything but calmed himself down both the times. He was brave enough to hide it from him but not sassy enough to be at peace with it.

After an hour and four cups of coffees, Ayesha appeared. "When did you come?" She asked as she carefully folded her headphones.

"More than an hour ago."

Punit's nervousness was eminent on his visage. She gave him a tight hug and tried to comfort him. "Don't worry too much. We will do well."

Throughout the journey, they sat holding each other's hand in the cab without a word. Both of them were nervous and preferred listening to music over talking.

Punit's heart was throbbing at a tremendous pace as Ayesha rang the bell. He wasn't good with interviews and there he was, moments away from the most important interview of his life. He was trying to calm down his breathing but that wasn't happening. He was about to say something to Ayesha but before he could utter a word, the door opened.

"Come in," welcomed Ayesha's mom graciously. "We were eagerly waiting for you two."

As the two made their way into the apartment, Punit felt like an offender whose trial was just about to begin. He had a theory about himself that, no matter what he did, he was generally worst at his first attempt. Unfortunately for him, if that attempt failed, he was sure that he won't get a second shot to that interview.

On a better note, he was greeted with a number of delicious sweets and fish fries which he wanted to politely refuse but one glare from Ayesha made it clear to him that no matter what, he had to have it.

As everybody settled down with dishes in their hand, the business end of the night began.

"So, you want to marry my daughter?" Asked Ayesha's father as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Yes sir." That came out way more confident than Punit actually was. As a matter of fact, the confidence sounded so farfetched that even Aysha and Punit exchanged glances.

"Why?"

He hesitantly replied, "Because we love each other." That sounded more normal.

"Who are there in your family?"

"It's just me and my parents."

"Are your parents aware of your relationship?" Joined her mother.

"Not as of now," interfered Ayesha. "We are going to talk to them tomorrow."

The last statement wasn't a part of the plan, but they went ahead playing calmly.

"We?" Mrs. Sen wasn't impressed. "Ayesha, don't you think it's better if Punit talks to them alone first rather than you too being a part of it?"