iii. Old Dreams Under The Moon.

chapt three,          old dreams under the moon

DAMILOLA couldn't stick around for the family reunion. He hadn't had the chance to inspect her features before the station called her in because one of her coworkers caught the flu leaving her to take on his twenty four hour shift.

She searched the meaning of a black hole on her way to work. A region of space having a gravitational field so intense that no matter or radiation can escape ━━━━ meaning it should've sucked them in, not spat someone out. She read about Five Hargreeves once ages ago, it'd took months for the book to swim to Ireland and nearly sold out within minutes in every single Eason store. Reginald Hargreeves was not a name spoken in her home, whether out of pure spite ( because he didn't take her away ) or jealousy ( because everyone has abilities better than the last ) Damilola never found out. A child wasn't what the women wanted in their homes. Delphine especially. Yet it was her screaming and groaning in agony in the supermarket, it her who had to squeeze a stranger's wrist and squeeze out a thing that poisoned her. Vanya's words laid a hand on her heart and beaten together.

      At five, a dark mist clouded around her finger. Her greedy stomach needed more of those chopped pineapple out of her reach bumbling into frustration like the world could end and she'd wouldn't care until the blue plastic plate of pineapples were in her hands. Xiluva nearly dropped the bags of groceries when she caught her child being ... protected by whirls and shadows of black refusing to let anyone come near until she sighed in satisfaction. It clicked. It stamped a fat importance on her forehead whenever Delphine glanced on her and sometimes, her was too big and heavy to carry.

     Damilola glanced at her silver, rusting sunshine ring on the counter above the sink, it was the first thing she stole and fuelled her adoration with silver rings. Cold water splashed on the hem of her navy department t-shirt making her clench her teeth and huff. She's almost done. But almost done equals more chores waiting to be started, there's no lounging around in the station. The morning began with the usual pass-on of information from the previous shift such as significant calls they ran, important training performed or needed, updates on personnel, and recent departmental issues. Their bodega shopping for lunch and dinner is being bought and paid for by collecting everyone's money. But when a call comes in, everyone needs to stop and answer.

     "Lola, did Juno tell you yet?" Frankie inquired behind her, light laughter bubbling at the corner of his mouth. A white towel slung over his shoulder and yellow plastic gloves clung to his chubby, tan hands. Juno buried her face in her hand groaning quietly. It had to be something interesting, the dishes can wait a few more minutes ( or hours if it ends in a question ).