vi. Bar Fight.

chapt six,          bar fight

chapt six, bar fight.

               TONIGHT will be brilliant. The sky will burst with shooting stars, the clouds will beat in a tune made for her moms to dance around fifteen-year-old Damilola.

     All because of a new trick she taught herself for their next jewellery heist. Her ability to whip black mist out of fingertips will leave nothing behind. A perfect crime. Better than raining clouds and clouds of darkness. It's gets tiring and hurts her eyes and makes it harder for her to concentrate in school.

     Damilola beseeched for an anchor to crash into them. Like the titanic, but softer. Her wish sprinkled over head in the form of the owner returning when she should be at home stomach full with dinner. That was her chance. Her moms encouraged and cheered (maybe not cheered!) for their demon spawn to do her thing.

     Demon spawn tried to do her thing. Nothing happened. No cough or sneeze of the dark. Nothing. Her wish twisted into a rotten joke. The police alarm blared. Delphine shoot her hand to distract. Almost shot and ditched Damilola. She was mortified and so angry at herself.

     Her moms were disappointed and frustrated. Barely half the loot fitted in their sacs. Damilola had no excuse. Delphine reminded her, one job, she only had one job. To distract. It's not her first time. Xiluva noticed it first. The decaying black branches poising her abilities. It almost made her laugh despite the heavy situation. She's called it, timeout.

It's a strange thing to remember. Neither asked what she desperately wanted to show them. As if it were a punishment. She would never treat her child that way (if she ever decided to adopt one). There's a lot of things she'd do different.

     Damilola left her apartment after checking on Marjorie. She didn't want to leave. She wanted to lay in bed and forget about the hammer swaying on a thinning rope above her head. At least with an axe she won't be defenceless. The Jeep would her fastest route, but it could be tracked or set to detonate when she sits down. That leaves hot wiring a car on her escape the night agenda. It's not the easiest trick, a small basic car will suit her.

     Hot wiring is like ripping the light switch out of the wall and directly connecting the wires instead using the switch. It took more time than she'd like to admit. The engine croaked to life, a content feeling bursts in her chest making her punch the air. So close to walking. A lovely piece of luck. The best time to sneak attack assassins is at nighttime. Unless they don't sleep then it wouldn't be much of an attack. It'd be her funeral. Or, theirs, well, maybe.

      Before Damilola drives, a cold sharp knife lifted her chin up. She froze, fingers clenched so tight around the wheel like she'd melt if she let go. Just her luck.