Chapter one: the phone call

It was a cold Sunday morning in New York city. I was washing the dishes and mindlessly staring out the window at the children from the apartment below me. The little girl was catching snowflakes on her tounge and her little brother mimicked her. The little girls gaze met mine and she yelled out " hello ms.wells!" I smiled and yelled hello back,then the young mother whisked her children away. I dried my hands and sat down on the old tattered couch when the phone rang.

=

"Hello?" I answered. "harper!" The voice yelled back. I soon recognized the voice to have belonged to my best friend Charlotte. "Oh hey, what's up?" I responded. "You know that Greek restaurant that you like....you know with the soft pita bread?" I laughed and said "uh yeah"

"Meet me there at 12:30, I have a SURPRISE!" She shrilled and hung up,

=

I glanced at the television Box in my living room for the time.11:58, it was just enough time to get ready. I tied my thick blonde hair in a messy bun and went to go fix my makeup. Covering up my freckles and blemishes. Then I continued to slip on my favorite blue hoodie and light wash jeans while walking towards the door. What did Charlotte mean by a surprise? The last surprise I got from Charlotte was that she had gotten a bird from petco. Now don't get me wrong the bird was cool but it wasn't really a surprise. I decided not to think much of it but I was kind of curious to what she had in store.

=

I scavenged for my old rain boots and found them to be In the depths of my closet. "Ah there you are" I smiled. I walked down to the door of my apartment building a few minutes later. It was quite a shock when I opened the door to the artic wheather and I quickly slipped on my gloves and zippered my coat. "This surprise better be worth it" I mumbled.