09. take a break

December 19th

  "You can't keep tutoring the first years when you're overwhelmed with your own studies," Johnathan says, pushing off a shelf of the library. Winnie looks up, startled at his presence as she walks away from a table of 3 first years studying for herbology.

  Winnie shakes her head. "Don't tell me what to do," she mumbles light-heartedly, bumping her shoulder in Johnathan's arm.

  "What's the attitude for? Malfoy rubbing off on you already?" Johnathan teases, bumping her back. Winnie blushes and looks at the floor.

  "I've literally only talked to him for five minutes since Friday," Winnie says, waving goodbye to the librarian as they leave.

  Johnathan turns to face her, "About?" he asks curiously.

  "Just studying," Winnie says, picking at her fingernails. Johnathan wasn't completely ecstatic about his best friend being around the biggest asshole in Hogwarts, but he did see how the situation was different. He had never see Malfoy hug anyone or show any type of emotion, nor had he ever seen him smile without some malicious intent behind it. The Draco Malfoy he saw with Winnie was different. His gut told him that he should trust it, so he was.

  Poppy was okay with it, wanting to know the whole situation detail by detail when Johnathan accidentally brought it up at breakfast the next day. Clara on the other hand was very upset.

  "You went back to him?" Clara whispered, letting her fork clatter to her plate. The three look at her as she purses her lips.

-

  "Clara, I-," Winnie starts.

  "No, no I don't want to hear it," Clara mutters, standing up from the bench.

  "Wait, Cla-"

  "You're stupid, Winnie. Malfoy doesn't and will never care for you the way you deserve," Clara says before storming out of the great hall.

-

  "I hope you told him he has to get our approval first before anything happens," Johnathan says as they walk. "Well, Poppy and I's, I don't think Clara will..."

  "We probably won't even be anything," Winnie says, ignoring his comment on Clara.

  Johnathan scoffs at that, "Bullshit, do you not remember how long that hug was? Malfoy doesn't give hugs, I've never even seen him hug his parents. And when you kissed him he just stood there with this big ass smile on his face in a daze. That's not just nothing, Winifred."

  "Keep your voice down!" Winnie says, looking around the hall, hoping none of the wandering students had overheard. Johnathan just rolled his eyes.

  "Fine, let's just go get Poppy," he says, grabbing her wrist and pulling her along. The two make it to the common room quickly and find Poppy sat on one of the couches.

  Winnie smiles, "Hey, Pop." Poppy looks up from the fire and smiles at her two friends. She stands, grabbing her textbooks from the couch.

  "Ready to go study?" She asks, making her way in front of her two friends.

  Johnathan links his arm with hers, "Not at all, let's go." Winnie laughs at him lightly but links onto his other arm anyway and they head for the great hall.

-

  "If you're acting like this over a kiss on the cheek, I'm truly worried how you'll be once you actually kiss her," Blaise says from his bed. Draco looks up at him, seeing Blaise already looking at him from over his glasses. Draco scoffs, pulling his fingers away from his cheek.