chapter 4

Sophie's POV

“So to be clear, you're telling me that the hotel does not have any footage at all of what happened to me at the entrance last night? You have got to be joking!” I stared incredulously at the manager, the police standing beside me.

“I’m sorry madam but no, there was some sort of system error and the footage was lost” This guy could not look more guilty if he tried. I'm surprised he hasn't slipped in the puddle of sweat he must be standing in right now.

The police officer gestured helplessly to me. I could file a report but with no witnesses and no evidence there is little hope of finding the guys, let alone hopes of prosecuting them. It's the age old Law issue ‘It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.'

I stormed out of the hotel after one last glare towards the manager. I don't know why he's hiding it, maybe scared of bad publicity but he is definitely hiding something.

As I set off down the street my phone starts to ring in my bag oh god I hope it's Mr Thornton’s office… No it’s Anthea. Now I definitely hope it's not about Mr Thornton.

“Anthea Hi,” I put on my best fake optimistic voice.
“Sophie, so good to hear your voice. I'm glad to hear you are making such a good impression over there” I frown a good impression, on who?

I already lost my client, I think bitterly. “Anthea I’m glad you are getting positive feedback. It's always good to hear a client is happy, can I ask who called you though?” Maybe I can get an idea of my next move if I have someone to work with.

“Actually it's a prospective new client, they have heard great things from Mr Thornton and asked for you specifically to take a look at a merger that they are having difficulties with. I’ll send you the address to be there at five pm sharp. This is a wealthy potential client Sophie. Don’t mess this up” then she hung up on me. So much for my good impression eh?

I should have known she was just trying to soften me up before piling on a work load.

After a few failed attempts at contacting Mr Thornton I settled at the desk in my hotel suite to read his companies bylaws. I need to know what I will be facing if Someone does try to take over. What is strange is Mr Thornton appears to own a significantly large portion of the shares I don't see how any of the board members could take over. There must be more to this.

As I read over the shareholder information again My work phone begins to ring. “Welcome to Emsworth and just, this is Sophie Morley speaking how can I be of assistance?” I answer “Oh hello Miss Morley this is Miss Cates, Mr Thorntons secretary. I'm calling to apologise about last night MR Thornton... Well, umm.. Something came up. Can we schedule a meeting for tomorrow morning?”

I let out a breath I hadn't realised I was holding. I wasn't fired thank the heavens. “That is not a problem. I understand some things are unavoidable. What is the time and location for tomorrow?” I ask trying not to sound over eager while I grab a pen.

Once my new appointment was booked in I was feeling a lot more optimistic about the rest of my day.