chapter 1

A/N

Ok it's my first attempt at writing a story so be nice. I'm aware it needs heavy editing I'll get to it soon

I'm happy to hear feedback but I hope at least someone enjoys it

If you do comment please leave me a book recommendation! I like everything.

Sophie pov

"I was tricked" I screech down the phone into poor Eddy's ear "They did this on purpose! They knew and they said nothing! Noth-ing"

I pace back and forth in my hotel suite anger pouring off me in waves "Asking if you're ok seems stupid so instead I'll ask what happened but don't shout it, it's the middle of the night here Sophie…"
I glance at the clock that shows 12.08 and frown. "There's only an hour time difference between Italy and London" I say.

"There is, but I'm still on location. Remember? LA for three more weeks..." Oh fuck I mentally face palm. Eddy is a location scout for a big movie company so he travels a lot with work but I'm so wrapped up in my issues I forgot where he was. "I'm sorry I'll call later" I quickly apologize feeling guilty about his rude awakening.
"No, I'm awake and you're stressed. I want to hear about it" he says sincerely.

I smile into the phone I'm so lucky to have him. Four years we've been together after we met at university where we argued constantly, but to be fair it was debate club.

We fell for each other's refusal to back down from a fight, we're both stubborn and refuse to lose or be a victim. I'm definitely worse than he is, that's why I became a lawyer. If I'm going to constantly argue I might as well get paid for it.

"So remember my first big case, the one that's got me stuck in Italy for the next few months, the one that Anthea called 'an amazing opportunity for someone newly qualified,' yeah well that was all a bunch of crap! I just got lumbered with the world's biggest arsehole." I say everything in one breath I can't give him details because of confidentiality but he understands.

"Are you even surprised that Anthea lied? It's literally all she does" I let out a sigh he's right and I know it "I miss you" I say calmer now that I've let off a bit of steam "Oh yeah? What do you miss?" He asks suggestively. "All of you of course" I smile at his flirting, he always makes me feel better "I miss you too, call me later ok?" He says tiredness evident in his voice.
"I will, go to sleep I'll call you later"

Ending the call I was already reaching for my papers, being newly qualified and having my own case to handle was supposed to be my big break showing my firm what I'm capable of.

My manager Anthea made a big deal about this case "Mr Thornton brings millions in revenue to our firm and he's concerned about a potential hostile takeover of his Italian offices."

As I specialise in arbitration I'm ideal to talk to all of the board members and try to convince them against the takeover. Seemed simple enough, but no Mr Thornton makes my task almost impossible!

He’s patronising, condescending and really paranoid. He has all these little rules he expects me to follow including that I wait at the building entrance for our meetings because he wants to know It’s 'really me'. (who else would it be?)

He'll only meet at hotel conference rooms and it can never be the same one twice in a row, it can’t be with certain companies, which is difficult to arrange since he wants all his updates in person, no calls or emails.

All these strict rules yet he can't even get all the board members in the same room for me to find out their thinking. So instead of just observing a meeting I am having to chase them around the city to get an idea of where they stand before reporting back to Mr Thornton at today's hotel conference room.

A glance at the sunny weather outside I decide to quickly change out of my pant suit to something cooler I choose a grey pencil skirt and cream pussy bow blouse and sheer tights, I pull my hair back into a neat ponytail, I slip on some flat pumps since I'm going to be on my feet all day.

Looking at my list  of board members Regio, Marino, Lastra, & Conti I grab my bag and leave.