Chapter 16

Sophie POV

After an utterly disappointing weekend I’m looking forward to getting back to work. My Meeting with Mr Davidson is nine am EST which makes it three pm for me in Italy. This gives me plenty of time to arrange my papers and make a note of all of the details I will need from him. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly.

Mr Canossa had replied to my email asking me to visit his office after the call to update him on the situation. It will be my first time visiting his office since all of our previous meetings were held at il lusso. I think it might be more comfortable knowing we are surrounded by employees.

Just as I am finalising the details with my notes my phone rings, “Welcome to Emsworth and just, this is Sophie Morley speaking how can i be of assistance?” I answer pinning the phone between my ear and shoulder to continue scribbling notes.

“Miss Morley, Hello it’s Miss Cates, Mr Thorntons secretary.” I frown not expecting her call. “Miss Cates of course, Is there anything I can help you with?” I ask.
“Mr Thornton has received a contract and would like you to review it before he signs it. Are you available this week?” she enquired politely. It amazes me how someone so polite can cope working for that man. The pay must be really good.

“Does Thursday morning work for him? I won’t book anything else in that day so we have time to go through everything” I suggest
“That would be perfect, I will contact you with a location thank-you” She says ending the call. I scribble a note in my appointment diary reminding myself to keep thursday free. Just in time for my call with Mr Davidson.

The call with Mr Davidson was more productive than I would have predicted. After just thirty minutes I have satisfactory answers to most of my questions and a follow up call arranged for Wednesday to answer the rest, plus any more that Mr Canossa asks after his update. The issue appears to be that the gentlemen are having a pissing contest. Neither willing to relent to the other over seemingly trivial points in the merger. I swear half of my career as a lawyer is just telling men to grow up. (In a professional way of course.)

I call a car to take me to Mr Canossa’s office with it being the first time it would be just my luck getting lost if I walk. Especially when it is dark so early now. It’s only four pm and the sun has already set bringing a bitter chill with it. The journey is fairly short though and I realise there was little risk of getting lost. His office building dominating the Marghera skyline.

After a few security checks I’m directed to an elevator top floor (ooh fancy) I’m told I'll be met at the lift by his secretary. The office building is admittedly beautiful with a large entrance foyer overlooked by balconies for at least the next two floors. Everything pristine white glass and chrome style throughout. Stepping out of the lift I am met by a very beautiful woman (seriously do you have to be a model to work here?) She’s at least half a foot taller than me with chocolate brown locks hanging around the shoulders of her suit. “Miss Morley?” she asks in a clipped tone. “Yes, hi I have an appointment with Mr..” I don't get to finish before she turns on the spot completely dismissing my outstretched hand and beckoning over her shoulder for me to follow.

She approaches a door and knocks lightly before pushing it open “Miss Morley for you.” I hear her say in a simpering tone, one that is drastically different from the one she just used with me. Stuck up bitch.

Entering the office my first thought is how tidy it is. My office back in England always has a pile of papers and books stacked on my desk. His by contrast has a laptop and a phone. A complete waste of the massive walnut desk that dominates the office. “You keep staring at my desk like that and I might get jealous,” Mr Canossa says, finally drawing my attention to the corner where he is pulling a file from a cabinet before locking it.

He takes his seat gesturing for me to sit opposite. I take my seat pulling out my note pad to get started

Mr Canossa POV

Obviously I don’t need an update given that I told Arty everything to say. The real reason I asked her to my office is because my men haven't seen her leave her hotel since I walked her back on friday. I was a little worried that she might have left. Not that I care what she does. I just don't want to have to start following a new lawyer.

When I was alerted by security that she had arrived despite not hearing from my men that she had left I immediately called il lusso the manager confirmed that she checked out on friday. So I had been completely wasting manpower watching her hotel all weekend. I wonder why she checked out? I can’t exactly ask, but at least now that she's here I can have her followed back to wherever she’s staying.

We go through the merger contract and I am actually pretty impressed by her ideas. I’m starting to feel a little awkward that she’s wasting them on a fake case. Just awkward though, I don’t do ‘feeling guilty.’