2

You pulled to the side of the curb in front of your flat and turned the car off. You had cooled off on the ride home, but you were still incredibly hungry. You grabbed your work bag and your keys and got out of your car, locking it behind you as you made the short journey to the flat.

The door was open when you tried the handle - your roommates were home them.

You had lived with Jazzy and Madeline for the better part of three years now. You and Maddy had been roommates in university, and with your similar career paths and friendship it only made sense that you should continue the arrangement. Jazzy had joined you a year ago - she was Maddy's younger sister, and was still in university, the same school you and Maddy had attended.

The flat was simple - a squat little brick house with a few flower boxes out front - but it was home. And compared to the apartments and dormitories you had stayed in during university, it was a major upgrade.

You stepped inside the flat, letting the warm air wash away the coldness of your hands. You kicked off your shoes and left your bag hanging on the doorknob to your room as you made your way to the kitchen.

There, Maddy was stirring something on the stove while Jazzy was perched at the island, kicking her feet as she idly turned the pages of a book. The speaker was playing that soft indie stuff they both liked, and Maddy hummed along as she cooked.

Jazzy looked up as you entered the room, grinning. "Hiya."

"Hi Jazz." You said, slipping into the barstool next to her. "Whatcha reading?"

She marked her page and flipped the book closed so that you could read the cover. The Song of Achilles.

"For your mythology class?" You asked.

"Sort of." Jazzy said.

You turned your attention to Maddy, who was still busy at the stove. "What's for dinner?"

Maddy spared a glanced over her shoulder as she told you. "Chicken soup with whatever we had in the fridge."

"Sounds delicious." You said, resting your elbows on the counter so that you could lay your head in your hands.

Jazzy tilted her head. "Tough day at the office?" She asked.

You groaned. "Like you wouldn't believe."

She turned in her seat, giving you her full attention and setting her book aside. Maddy set her spoon down as well, leaning against the fridge as you began to speak.

"I had been hoping to get this interview with this baker guy done and get a start on the article so that I would be ahead of schedule." You said. "So I called him for the interview, thinking it would be an hour at most, but he dragged it on forever and half of it was him talking about absolutely nothing so it wasn't even useful."

Maddy tutted. "I hate when that happens."

"That's not even all of it though." You said. "The guy in the office next to me was screaming again."

"You should say something to him." Jazzy said. "It's been what, months of you putting up with that?"

"I don't even think I've ever seen him before though." You said. "He must get there after I do and then leave late."

"Next time he does it just knock on the wall back to him." Jazzy said. "Or just leave a note on his door or something."

Maddy turned back to the soup, stirring as she added in some spices. "You could always talk to the guy who owns the place too. What was his name again?"

"Oscar." You said. You could talk to Oscar... he was always in his office and he'd said that if you'd ever had a problem to talk to him. And that way your first impression on this guy wouldn't be you telling him off for being loud and disrupting your work.

"I still think a strongly worded letter on the door should do it." Jazzy said.

"No, I think I'll go to Oscar." You said. "That way it's all professional."

Jazzy shrugged. "Suit yourself."

Maddy tapped her spoon on the side of the pot, shaking off the excess drops. "Soups done. Bowls or mugs?"

"Bowl." You said.

"Mug." Jazzy said. "The big one I got from our trip to France."

Maddy pulled the dishes from the cabinets, ladling soup into them. She passed you a steaming bowl and a spoon, and slid Jazzy's mug across to her before grabbing her own mug and coming to lean on the other side of the island.

You spooned some of the soup into your mouth. "For just whatever we had in the frigate, this is really good."

Maddy took a joking bow. "Your compliments are much appreciated."

As soon as the warm trickle of soup made its way to your stomach you started to feel better, the days stress seeming more manageable on a full stomach.

Jazzy sipped at her mug. "A few of my friends and I are going to that one pub tonight to have a few drinks and see the band playing. If either of you want to come you're welcome to."

You shook your head. "I should work on that article since I didn't get to today. And it's my turn to clean the bathrooms."

Jazzy frowned. "You never come out."

You shrugged sympathetically. "I'm just busy."

She turned her gaze to Maddy hopeful, but Maddy shook her head. "I need to go grocery shopping, we've got nothing left in the fridge anymore."

Jazzy sighed and slid from the barstool, leaving her empty mug in the sink. "I guess I'll see you lot later then."

"Don't stay out too late!" Maddy said as Jazzy ducked back into her room.

You watched her as well, thinking back to your university days, when you had been able to spend as much time with your friends as you liked.

You got up to place your empty bowl in the sink. "I'm going to get to work."

"Alright." Maddy said, smiling thinly. You knew she had been thinking much the same.