Chapter 5

an// heyyyyy.... its been a hot minute but I'm back with this story

It's been three days since the party and I still have not spoken to Aaron. It's not because of a lack of trying on his part; he has called multiple times and even went as far as knocking on my door, but I ignored him. He may be my best friend, but right now, he is the last person in the entire world I want to see.

Knock, Knock, Knock.

I would recognize the sound of his knocks anywhere, and now I know exactly when I should avoid the door.

"Y/n, please open the door," he says, muffled by the heavy wood.

"Go away!" I yell.

"I have something I need to give you," he insists.

I sigh, annoyed, but make my way over to the door anyway. I pull it open and stare back at him with an unamused expression. To my surprise, he is dressed in a cable-knit sweater, distressed black jeans, and his signature boots. This choice of clothing is out of the ordinary for him, but what's even more surprising is the bouquet of pink flowers in his hand.

"What are those?" I ask dumbly.

"Flowers," he smiles.

"Why?"

"Because I felt bad for letting you leave like that. I've been trying to make it up to you all week, Y/n. Please let me?"

He holds the flowers out to me and I take them, but I still keep my face neutral.

"How are you going to make it up to me?" I ask, putting my free hand on my hip.

"I want to take you for a walk around campus, then we can go to that diner I know you like. You know... Take you on a good girl date," he says, barely holding back his laughter.

I roll my eyes at him but the lingering anger I felt towards him melts away.

"Fine, but you have to have me home by eight," I tease.

"I pinky promise," he says as he holds out his pinky. I wrap mine around his and touch our thumbs together, which makes a small smile appear on my lips.

"I should go get ready, then. You can sit on the couch and wait for me," I grin before skipping away, disappearing into my bedroom.

I stand in front of my closet and pick out the red tennis skirt I was wearing when we first met and a white sweater that matches his. Instead of fishnets that have become common in my wardrobe, I choose white socks that meet my mid-calf. Over my socks, I wear my mostly unworn tennis shoes that I got for my birthday last year.

I put on some subtle makeup: only mascara, blush, light eyeshadow, and a gloss on my lips. I quickly style my hair and smile in the mirror at myself before leaving the room.

Aaron's eyes immediately find me when I enter the room and I see his mouth drop open ever so slightly. I grin as I twirl around, sending the hem of my skirt flying in a circle.

"Do you like it?" I ask him, already knowing the answer.

"You're as gorgeous as you were the first day I met you," he says sincerely.

My heart melts a little at his comment. It's rare to find a sweet moment between his constant teasing and his "cool guy" facade, but when I do, I cherish it.

I reach for my leather jacket that hangs on the coat rack by the door but I pause, instead taking my long, tan coat from the hook.

Before I could shrug it on, I feel the sleeves being lifted up and when I turn around, Aaron is behind me with a bright smile. I put on the coat with his help and I lead him out of my dorm.