Chapter 9: Cursed

"Hey Percy! How's it going?" Magnus had imagined a lot of circumstances where he would save Percy Jackson from being chopped into nothingness but in none he had received such a look of horror as her was getting now from the other boy.

The smile which he had tried on his face wavered a bit. "Come on, give me the credit of saving your butt once." Magnus joked trying to lighten his mood. But the son of the Sea god remained frozen in his place looking at him as if he were a ghost - which technically, he was.

At that moment, two other people came running from somewhere in the greens towards their direction shouting Percy's name. He turned in their direction and watched them as they approached clearly too shaken to say anything.

It was a guy and a girl. The guy was tall and muscular with dark skin with a lot of weird jwellery around his neck. The girl seemed pretty normal. Her hair was blonde with streaks of green highlights. She was fair-skinned and had deep blue eyes.

"Percy are you okay?" The girl asked looking worriedly at him. "We were about to come after you when this guy landed on top of the Yale." Her gaze shifted to Magnus for a moment before moving back to Percy's shaken face.

Why is he so shocked after being attacked by a bull? Magnus thought. He has faced worse. He wondered if something happened.

The other guy who had been standing behind Percy then shifted his attention to Magnus. "Speaking of the guy." He said. "Who are you?"

"Magnus Chase." Percy said before he could answer. "Annabeth's cousin."

The girl looked at Magnus with a sudden realisation. "Oh yes! Annabeth used to mention you when we talked." She said. "I'm Sadie Kane. Former host of Isis. If I remember correctly, you're Magnus Chase, Son of Frey."

"Egyptian Gods. Oh right." Magnus exclaimed himself with realisation. "Annabeth had said something about them being in Brooklyn."

Sadie nodded. She turned to the muscular guy. "Walt, this is Magnus. Percy's girlfriend's cousin. He's the son of the norse god of summer - Frey."

Walt shrugged. "At this point, if you tell me that the Chinese gods are alive too, I won't be surprised."

"Magnus," Percy croaked. "Don't tell me you killed the Yale. You didn't right?" His voice almost sounded pleading. A shiver ran down Magnus's spine. A Yale? He shouldn't have killed it?

Magnus hesitated a moment before nodding his head in a 'yes'.

"No," Percy's eyes went wide as if Magnus had just confirmed his worst suspicions. "No, no, no, no, no." He pulled back the hair from his forehead frustratingly. "This can't be happening."

Fear rose inside Magnus. "Percy why are you so scared? Tell me properly. You're scaring me."

He wished his girl/boy friend Alex Fierro would be here. He could calm his nerves. But alas that idiot trans needed to complete his porcelain collection at the moment.

"Magnus," Percy said. "That Yale is a monster protected by Artemis's blessing. Killing it would- " he stammered.

"Killing it would?" Magnus prompted. His panic-o-meter rising at a disturbing pace.

"You've killed Artemis's sacred monster. The Yale was protected by the Moon Goddess herself. It's believed that anyone doing any harm to the Yale faces Artemis's unfathomable wrath."

Before Magnus could have the time to process what Percy said and be worried, loud howls pierced the calm silence of the park.

"What was that?" Magnus asked, a cold sweat tickling down his neck. The sound was definitely of a wolf. And Magnus hated wolves.