Chapter XV

˖*

˖*. ANCIENT ANTIQUITY .*˖

Over the two excruciatingly long summer months, Diane had kept in contact with her friends as promised.

Lysander had gifted her yet another history book. This time about the ancestry of magical creatures native to Europe. He said he'd found it wasting away behind the dozen or so other magical creatures related books in his father's study.

She sat in an empty compartment on the Hogwarts express, this particular book laid open across her knees on page 127. She traced her finger vertically over the page, reading the contents underneath 'The origin of the Mackled Malaclaw'.

'Glad to see you're enjoying my gift.' Lysander casually walked into the compartment, Lorcan trailing behind. 'Mackled Malaclaw eh, causes quite a lot of misfortune.'

'Thanks again.' Diane smiled as Lysander dusted off the spot next to her before sitting down, placing his caged owl on the ground between his legs.

Both Lorcan and his cat Calcifer jumped up as the door to their compartment slid open with a loud clunck. Lloyd stomped in and dropped into the seat next to the shorter haired twin.

'I can't wait to go back to Hogwarts.' He sighed loudly. 'Dad's been going on and on about focusing on my grades instead of music. God, it's driving me mental!'

'From what my dad told me, Lee wasn't a star pupil either.' Roxanne chuckled as she entered the compartment, softly closing the door after letting Saoirse in behind her. 'I'll have my dad talk to him, don't worry about it too much.'

'You're telling me your dad is not constantly on your case about getting better grades?' Lloyd exclaimed, quite unable to believe such a thing.

'He knows forcing me won't change anything. Besides, he didn't even graduate.' Roxanne lightly shook her head, grinning. 'If he tells me off for having bad grades, I always kindly remind him of that little fact.'

The villages started getting scarcer and the hills steeper as the train soon reached Hogsmeade station. The students were transported to their second home by the 'horseless' carriages once again.

During Diane's third welcoming feast, she noticed one of the teachers was missing from the long staff table at the front of the great hall.

'Dear students. To our newest pupils, welcome to Hogwarts! To all others, welcome back! You will by now have noticed the absence of one of our most trusted professors, Professor Filius Flitwick. He has sadly retired, and wanted me to wish you all good luck with your further education. Your new charms teacher, professor Fabian Fernsby, will arrive at the castle tomorrow morning. You can all retire to your rooms now, get in a good nights sleep before classes start.'