9.45pm

wc: 3.7k

written: 27.5.20

✧·゚: *✧·゚: *✧·゚: *

The bakery you work at is one of New York's hidden gems. Tucked away beneath a level of luxurious townhouses, the small space is covered in vintage artwork, bright leafy plants, and warm exposed lightbulbs that cast a web of kaleidoscopic light across the space. Your regulars love the way it's their secret, love the way it's as if they're walking into their own secret hiding space every time they creep down the green metal staircase and walk in through the jangling door, and you love the way it's like a little community revolves around the place. The air is always alight with the scent of fresh pastries and sound of relaxed laughs, and there really isn't anywhere else you'd rather escape to after school.

You always work the closing shift on weekdays, slipping down into the shop at 5pm and locking up at 10pm. It's always the quietest hours for the bakery - the best loaves of bread and the most perfectly iced cupcakes are always snatched up by commuters in the morning, so the only groups of people who wander into the bakery when you're there are those on the lookout for discounted baked goods. It's always relaxed, and as the hours creep by, more than often you find yourself being paid to sit behind the counter and read a book than actually deal with any customers, so it's a winning combination all around.

Your job at the bakery is normal and unassuming. That is, until the night Spider-Man stumbles into your shop.

It's around 9.45pm, and you've just finished pulling down the shutters. Your shop may be set on the basement level of the building, but you have two large windows at the front that catch the light from the sun and drowse the bakery in a warm golden glow during the day. At night, however, it's a little creepy, and you're happy it's almost closing time so you can quickly walk home and clamber into bed. It's been a long day.

The bell perched on the door rings loudly and you jump, clutching at your heart as you spin around to greet the latecomer, hoping that they aren't expecting too much. At this stage in the night, the only goods leftover are the ones you haven't snacked on: a round cherry pie, a few broken biscuits, and a box of crumbling scones. As you open your mouth to greet the customer, your eyes fall on the figure and you find yourself stumbling over your words.

It's... Spider-Man?

"Uh- uh, hi, M-Mr Spider-Man," you squeak, feeling the hot heat of your blood pulse across your cheeks. Faced with the iconic red and blue colours of the spidersuit, you find your mind blanking, "Wh-what are you doing here?"

Though you can't see the face beneath the mask, you get the overwhelming suspicion that you're being chuckled at.

"I'm hungry," he replies. Your eyebrows raise as you take in the soft, high voice that escapes him. "My, uh, my aunt always talks about this place, and I saw it was open, so..."

You clear your throat. Right. That's fine. Spider-Man knows your bakery. Spider-Man is here in front of you. Spider-Man wants some cakes. This is fine.

Swallowing down your nerves, you nod and attempt a wide smile. You gesture to the cabinet and walk back towards the counter. "We've not got much left, I'm afraid. We close in ten minutes, so most of the good stuff's been taken." You peer back at the cabinet. "There's a cherry pie, some biscuits, a few pastries, or some scones." You look up at him, and as unnerving as it is to look at a masked figure, you smile again. "Anything grab you?"

He pads across the floor and scratches at his chin. "Could I have the pie?" He asks, after a moment. "Oh, and, uh, the biscuits." He looks up at you. "What happens to this all if it isn't sold?"