cuddle buddies

wc: 3.4k

written: 2.8.20

✧·゚: *✧·゚: *✧·゚: *

"God damn, MJ, I think I'm actually going to die if I don't get a hug soon."

You're rambling, your voice full of heavy frustration. Your hair is unkempt and messy from all the times you've run your fingers through it, and you stare at Michelle with a wild look in your eyes that makes her press a hand to her hips and laugh lightly.

"Has anyone told you that you're really good at being dramatic, Y/N?" She replies casually, causing you to mock an outraged gasp. You sit down at the lunch table together, setting down your trays in front of you.

You manage a glare at your friend. "You're so mean to me," you whine. "You don't understand how desperate I am."

MJ narrows her eyes. "I don't think it's possible to die from lack of human contact," she chimes.

"Who's dying?"

You startle as a third, familiar voice joins the conversation, and crane your neck to see Peter slipping into the open seat beside you. He gives you an easy smile that stretches all the way to his soft, lovely brown eyes, and you feel your heart ache.

"No one's dying," Michelle replies. When Peter shoots her an inquisitive look, she adds, "Y/N thinks she's going to perish if she doesn't find someone to hug."

You scowl at MJ, biting the inside of your cheek as you try not to let the embarrassment show on your face. It's one thing to have this conversation with MJ - your close friend and number one confidant - but Peter? It's an entirely different story. He may be your best friend, but your feelings are far more than simply platonic when it comes to him.

"Oh..." Peter looks at you curiously, his eager eyes darting over your face. He leans his elbows on the table and rests his chin in his hands, looking utterly adorable with his face pulled into a cute smile. His grin widens as you meet his gaze, and he nods knowingly. "Hugs are nice."

You nod in appreciative agreement. "Exactly!"

MJ just rolls her eyes. "You guys are so weird."

Ned joins the table and begins talking to MJ about a chemistry project, and Peter turns to you properly.

"Hey, so, are we still on for that study session later?" He asks you, his teeth briefly gliding across his lower lip. You try not to focus too much on the curve of his mouth, but it's very difficult.

"Um, yeah," you squeak, feeling your cheeks heat up a little as you remember the arrangement you'd made with Peter earlier in the week. "Mine or yours?"

"Yours?" Peter suggests.

"Okay. My parents are still away on business, so it'll just be us. Is that okay?"

Your friend nods his head, his fluffy brown curls shifting around his face. "Sounds great." Peter gives you a nervous smile, and it sets your heart racing. "I can't wait."

✧·゚: *✧·゚: *✧·゚: *

Peter turns up a little after 7pm, a box of pizza in his hands. You spend a while chatting and watching Star Wars, and then eventually pull yourselves around to studying. You opt for your bedroom, with its very comfortable fluffy carpet, and you spread out all of your notebooks and pens around you before lying on your stomach and lazily flicking through your notes. But you can't quite focus because something is amiss.

Peter is acting very oddly tonight. And he's normally a little hyperactive, but it's as if he's on another level entirely. He keeps glancing up to you, then looking away the moment you bring your eyes up to meet his, and he hasn't stopped drumming his fingers over the front of his maths textbook all night. You're already nervous enough being around him, alone and within such close proximity to him, and his antics aren't helping you at all.