xx. vortex of fate

𝐕𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐱 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐞

❝ So that's all life is to you? Monsters and money? ❞

Triss Merigold

'The girl in the woods will be with you always

'The girl in the woods will be with you always.'

Geralt woke up in the flickering light, hands clenched in the bedclothes, heart beating with a force that shook his entire being. The bed he lay on felt as if he were sinking, the softness not a familiar feeling for him. His neck throbbed in pain and his stomach heaved. He closed his eyes and swallowed hard, trying to gather his scattered wits.

He moved his arm in order to feel his tender neck but stopped before he had moved it an inch and he pursed his lips. Ros lay hunched at his side, her head pressed against the mattress and body curled up on the chair she had dragged beside it. A small smile tugged at her lips and as her fingers toyed with the silver chain of his medallion in her sleep.

Geralt didn't dare to move.

"Your scars." Triss Merigold turned from her station at the sound of Geralt's groans, a small smile on her lips. "You heal quite nicely. Your will to live is strong."

Geralt lifted his head, eyes widening as memories shot through him with a vividness that made the pain in his head pale by comparison. He remembered the searing pain in his neck before his own teeth latched onto the princess's neck. "The princess?"

"I've arranged for her to stay awhile with the Sisters of Melitele."

"But... I..." he stumbled over his words, voice low so the sleeping elf beside him would not stir. "Her neck?"

"She'll heal, too." Geralt's head dropped back on the mattress in relief, his fingers ghosting over Ros's scarred arm. "You should know Folstest issued a statement. The honourable Lord Ostrit gave his life to slay the Vukodlak. Miners are gathering ore for a statue." Geralt ground his teeth as he sat up abruptly, and with some effort. "Anyone else would've killed the princess. You chose not to."