i. the girl who fell from the heavens

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐅𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐬

❝ You fell from the heavens. Saw you with me own eyes. ❞

Finic

Darkness surrounded me, a hazy void where I found myself lost

Darkness surrounded me, a hazy void where I found myself lost. The faintest amount of pressure began to press against my temple and like a pebble thrown into a river, the pressure began to ripple across my body and grew into a throbbing ache. My lungs felt as though they had been set alight.

As the pain spread, colours began to form before me. Splotches of reds, purples and greens began to dance in the darkness, twisting around each other like starlings in flight. I felt as if I were spinning through the air, or as if I were being flayed alive. Nothing compared to the sickening sensation of being slammed into something I couldn't see. Even though my body had landed, my heart felt as if it were still falling.

Bruised lids fluttered open, the ring of inhuman voices still echoing in my mind. I didn't know where I was. As I looked around what must have been a small shack, I saw nothing familiar. Streaks of light from the setting sun poured through the split wood of the walls, warming my face with the dying light. A small fire pit burning a short distance from her cot. Buckets littered the floor, catching drops of water leaking from the thatched roof of the cottage.

The sound of light scratching pulled my attention to a boy sitting in the chair beside the cot I had found myself lying in. Hunched over a book with his head bent and his fingers blackened with charcoal, the boy didn't notice my eyes taking him in with trepidation. Though he was sitting on a low stool, I could tell his height from how his legs were bent close to his chest. His thick, black hair hung like a curtain, hiding his face from my prying eyes.

The cot creaked loudly, the rusted springs of the mattress sounding a high screech in protest as the stiffness in my body forced me to move in hopes of bringing feeling back to my legs. The boy tore his gaze from his book at the noise, his blue eyes wide.  "You're awake!" he gaped in surprise as I struggling to sit up, "I thought you'd never wa--"