𝐗; 𝐁𝐨𝐛𝐛𝐲'𝐬 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 🎀

Alice did not know when it had started. Perhaps after the theater, when they went to see Camelot. President Kennedy had been wanting to watch the musical for a long time and invited Alice along. She kept glancing at him as he watched. King Arthur reminded her a little of him. And the enjoyment she could see coming from his brightly jovial face made her sigh happily every once in a while.

Perhaps it was the way Robert Goulet sang If ever I would leave you, so effortlessly and magically. And perhaps the song became a little voice in her head telling her that her feelings were valid, true, and pure. That her heart was not just beating because she was alive, but because she was starting to live to the fullest. She was falling in love.

It was the way they had started to get to know each other better. And the way he spoke to her, each nice gesture he came up with, each time he said her name... She knew he did not feel the same way about her. There was no way he would be interested in an immature, small girl like her. The women she had seen him flirt with resembled movie stars worthy of appearing on the front page of a magazine while wearing daring clothes. Women with striking, eye-catching bodies... Alice was petite and still looked like a teen. No self-respecting man would want to be seen with someone like her, people would assume she was the victim of grooming.

If only Alice could develop a grown-up's body overnight. But it still would not guarantee that he would be interested. It was clear he felt some sort of affection towards her, Alice knew he would not treat just anyone the way he treated her. She was, in a way, spoiled by him. But the reason for that was because she was the president's Chief of Staff and best friend's daughter.

Being in love was like walking on a cloud and walking on nails at the same time. It was exhilarating and painful. Exciting and frustrating.

What was frustrating Alice the most was the fact that she was about to explode because she had no one to tell and vent her feelings to. She had not talked to her friends since they had arranged that horrible date for her. She felt betrayed and resentful. But not talking to Frances was weighing on her too much. Without her, Alice had no one of her age to converse and gossip with.

"What's the matter, Alice?" The man at her side asked her.

As always, Alice was lost in the wonderland of her mind.

"Oh, nothing." She turned her attention to him, and back to the matter at hand.

"You keep staring into space," Bobby took off his reading glasses, placing them down on the table. "if you want to get it off your chest, I'm here to listen."

Alice, worried he might have been growing impatient with her poor ability to concentrate, decided to tell him what was on her mind. Leaving out the part about her infatuation with his brother, obviously.

Bobby and Alice had been working together some more on the Alliance for Progress. And spending that time together led them to realize how alike they were. Their personalities and energies matched perfectly, in consequence, Alice was completely comfortable in his presence.

"It's silly, so I'll be brief." Alice leaned back against the chair, crossing her arms. "I have no friends left." The girl admitted.

"Why?"

"It's a long story. They did something for me, perhaps with their best intentions at heart, but it turned out dramatically wrong. And I just can't seem to bring myself to forgive them."

"Well, Alice. It's all part of being a good Christian. I know that in that little angelic heart of yours you know that your friends love you and they surely feel awful for whatever happened." His voice was tremendously pacifying and groovy, making Alice listen to him in awe. He welcomed her concentration, hoping she would be able to keep it for the remainder of their work time. "You will be able to look past your disappointment and forgive them. Maybe not today but sooner or later you will."