nineteen | wait

GEORGE

The airport is cold.

Even though it's afternoon, outside's a dull gray and clouds shroud away the sun, practically encapsulating the sky as far as I can see. I'm on a moving walkway, looking through the spacious windows as they slowly pass by. A few planes sit idle near several gates, some linked to the boarding area and others being loaded with luggages of all sizes and colors.

My own backpack tugs on my shoulder gently. I've carried a minimal amount of items, the only things I could think of needing: phone, wallet, headphones, passport, plane tickets, water bottle. Thankfully, my suitcase has been checked in and I won't have to worry about it until Florida.

Florida.

My heart still drops at the thought of it. I don't think it will ever not.

Less than 10 hours now. Only a flight away.

I'll be in Florida.

Sapnap. Dream.

An uncontrollable smile grows on my face, but it's covered by my mask. My stomach turns several times, out of excitement, out of nervousness, out of emotions so ambiguous they can't be named.

This is it.

The moving walkway ends and carefully I step onto the tiled floors again. My eyes flick up to read a sign attached to the ceiling.

My gate is straight ahead. There's a McDonalds right across from it as well.

10 minutes later, I take a seat near the corner of my gate, mostly secluded from the few others on my flight. Carefully I remove my mask so it hangs off my right ear, slightly turning my head towards my left shoulder. One hand holds my phone, the other takes a fry from the McDonalds bag and pokes it in my mouth.

The time reads 2:47 pm. The flight's at 3:30; boarding could begin at any moment now.

My phone unlocks and I open iMessages. Open the groupchat.

im at my gate right now
i might start boarding anytime
can't wait to see you guys :]

Texts appear almost instantaneously, one after the other.

Sapnap
I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU GOGY
WHEN I SEE YOU IM GOING TO GIVE YOU A BIG HUG OKAY

I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU TOO
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT LAST PART

Sapnap
IM GOING TO HUG YOU WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT

I'm typing out an indignant response when a banner appears at the top of the screen. The vibration is startling.

My words immediately curve off like mist evaporating in the sun.

Sapnap's calling me.

My jaw clenches and the food in my mouth turns into mush.

Slowly, robotically, my thumb presses the backspace key and all the letters disappear one by one in blocky clunks.

I accept the call, finger lightly skimming over the green circle. 

My heart is pounding but I can't show it. I'm still technically in a public place. I press the cool glass to my ear. "What?"

"George." There's a hard edge to his voice.

Blind refusal in a vise tightens around my throat. My hand grips the smooth rectangular edges of my phone.

I know what he's thinking. He knows what I'm thinking.