twenty seven | after

SAPNAP 

"Hello?"

The line crackles. I purse my lips, press the glass against the side of my face. 

Quiet bumps. A choppy inhale.

I swallow. "Hello?" I repeat. 

"Sap?"

I let out a suppressed breath. "Karl." There's ridiculous amounts of relief coursing through me. 

"Hi!" 

"Hello. Hello, hello, hello." My head tilts back to bump lightly against the headboard. One hand cups my cheek. "How've you been?" 

I hear him laugh. "I've been great, fine, amazing, but come on. What's up with you guys?"

The guest room is dim, save the warm glow of a singular lamp on the nightstand. Moonlight shines in layers from the slants of the blinds. The beams bend over the rise and indents of the bed. 

Reaching over, I turn off the bedside lamp and let the darkness wash over me. "It's... been something, for sure," I muster. 

He clicks his tongue several times. "Well, that doesn't sound too bad," he muses cheerfully. "Also, wasn't there a stream today? You and George?" 

"We did, yes." The memory is fond despite the nature of the game. "That was actually really fun. George is such a wimp."

"He really is. But don't act like you weren't scared either." 

A grin grows on my face as one hand subconsciously picks at the bedcover. "I only got scared at the, jumpscares. And the gross parts, and when we died. George was literally screaming at everything."

Karl giggles in the typical high-pitched chortle, no less than contagious. "It made the stream a whole lot funnier though." 

"Because he sucked at the game?" I roll my eyes as he continues laughing. "He literally was the reason we died so much."

"Didn't you guys share the controls?"

"Yeah, but there were so many times where he wouldn't just fucking run because he was too scared, what an idiot." I'm scoffing but it's all in good fun. 

"How far did you guys get?" 

"I'm not too sure, but I think it was somewhere near where you and Quackity got."

"Oh, that's not too bad." 

"It's not bad at all," I agree. "But we could have gone further if it wasn't for George." The accentuated words brim with theatrical disgust, and his laughter on the other side only fuels it. 

"But yes, it was a good stream," I continue. "The chat was super excited as well. Me, George, together, facecam, scary game? Too much," I flaunt shamelessly. 

"I'm sure it was. You guys seemed really happy," he adds. 

I feel a half smile on my face. "I was," I say slowly. And I can't figure out what to say after that.

Quickly I carry on. "How are you and Quackity?"

He sighs. "We've been fine, talking as normal, but obviously with you three busy, we're missing a lot. It's been a while since one of those streams with the five of us, so I'm glad you and George were able to give the subs something today." 

"I miss you guys too," I mull sympathetically. 

"Don't worry about it," he assures me. "This is big for all three of you and everyone understands."