24

LAYLA ABRAHAM

The ride home had been tense and immensely difficult. He had cracked open a window in attempt to cool the situation, until they got home at least, but that hadn't worked. Instead, she found herself even more eager to get him alone and behind closed doors but for now, all she could do was imagine all the wicked things she couldn't wait to do to him.

Turning her head, she glanced at him. He was the most handsome man she had ever seen.

Alejandro had taken off his suit jacket and it was currently splayed out on the backseat of his car. His hair was lightly tousled and slightly messy from when she had run her fingers through it and pulled on the ends during their passionate make out session. His white button-down shirt sat taut across his wide, chiselled chest and he had rolled the sleeves up to his elbows, to reveal his tattoo. Well, the only tattoo of his that she had seen.

From the multiple times that she had seen him shirtless, his chest and back were free of any tattoos, but the same couldn't be said about the rest of him until she got a chance to investigate further. She was excited to find out how many tattoos he had later.

"What made you tattoo a date on your arm?" She found herself asking, her eyes lingering on the small, cursive writing.

He spared her a sideways glance. "That's the day I quit the police academy."

Her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. That was a weird reason to tattoo a date on his body.

A light chuckle sounded as he noticed this. "It's also the day my father had a heart attack."

Layla turned her head to stare at him, shocked. She hadn't expected that answer. "Did he?" She closed her mouth as her voice trailed off, searching for a better choice of words. "Is he okay?"

"He had a mild heart attack." Alejandro was quick to explain once he noted the worried expression on her face.

"I quit the academy and went back home to stay with my family. My dad had a full recovery." He released a sigh of relief, thinking back to the hospital when he was gathered with his mum and all 4 of his brothers. They had sincerely believed that would be their last moments with their father. "I spent more than a month living with my parents and moping around but when my parents got fed up of me, they sent me packing back to New York. I opened up my bodyguard business and you know the rest."

Alejandro chuckled at the fond memory. His dad had packed his clothes while he had been out grocery shopping, and had forcefully driven him to the airport, demanding that he head back to New York and resume his training at the academy, but that month or so with his family had almost given him a new insight into life. He wanted to be more than a policeman. He wanted a more hands-on job of protecting people, especially civilians like Layla who needed his help.

"Your dad sounds like quite a man."

"He is." He chuckled, once again immensely grateful that his old man had made it.

"Is that the only tattoo you have?"

He nodded. "I'm looking to get some more but haven't come across something I want permanently tattooed on my body yet." He shrugged. "What about you?"

"What about me?" She replied, coyly.

"Have you got any tattoos?" He asked even though he suspected she didn't have any. Layla usually wore oversized hoodies around the apartment and long sleep shirts to bed but the few times she wore tanks or something slightly more revealing, he hadn't noticed any ink on her skin whhich was a shame. Unless she was hiding a tattoo somewhere super private, he was sure she had none.