Chapter 24

Early the next morning Cass stands finishing mopping the deck. Out of corner of her eye she sees Alexander coming down the stairs from his quarters. She looks up at him and smiles. He returns her gesture before turning to see Richards along with a few of the men sitting down not doing anything. His expression changes to agitation. He then hits his fist against a large crate making them jump. They all quickly get up to face him. " Make yourselves busy. I won't be catching this again will I?" He asks rhetorically. A few men answer " No sir." " Get to work." He orders turning back to Cass. " Well Good morning to you too." She says sarcastically. He groans running his hand through his hair. " I'm not much of morning person." He states a tired expression written on his face. She nods while setting her mop aside. Her eyes drift to his extra belt in which holds a large sword. She's seen it before, do to him wearing it most of the time but now she has a better look. Sliver lines it beautifully throughout the handle. The handle is smooth and curved for a perfect grip, the blade sharp and well taken care of. It's simple but unique in its own way. " Your sword is beautiful." She says gestures to it. He smiles. " It was my fathers." He states taking it out of his belt to show her. The slight sun light hitting it making a soft reflection. He holds it with his two hands one on each end. " He had good taste." She says smiling. " I guess you could say he did." He responds his expression unreadable now, not happy but not sad either. She looks at him trying to study his expression. He suddenly holds his sword out to her. Her eyes widen looking down at it then back up at him. " Here." He says still holding it out to her. " Oh I don't think-" She begins. " Come on it won't hurt you..." He interrupts. She cautiously reaches out grasping the handle slowly.
" Unless you trip with it in your hand or something." He adds jokingly. She looks up at him rolling her eyes. Finally he let's go when he sees she has a good grip on it. It's heavier than expected she thinks as she sloppily holds it. " That is one way to hold it." He says coming closer grasping her hand that holds the handle. He quickly moves the handle to better angle in her hand. He backs up smiling. Her brows frowned as she focuses on the blade. He looks at her as she moves the blade around. " I love it." She states finally looking up smiling. He laughs. " Fun yeah?" He asks. " Yes." She answers quickly bending her knee towards him in somewhat of a lunging position pointing the blade towards him. He smirks as he backs up a bit. " Watch where your pointing that thing." He warns putting up one of hands gesturing for her to back up. Her eyes narrow playfully as she slowly moves towards him. He tilts his head warningly. He quickly grabs the mop leaning against the bulwark that she set aside. Holding it as if it was a blade. " It was a mistake letting you hold that wasn't it?" He asks. She smirks lunging towards him. Only for her blade to be quickly stopped by the handle of the mop. He smirks back applying enough pressure pushing he backwards. " Try again." He states as she stumbles back. She quickly maintains her balance lunging towards him once move. He easily locks her blade in with the handle of the mop twisting them around and pressing her against the bulwark. Her two arms trapped along with her blade, one of her arms held down by his hand as she is defeated once more. As she struggles to break free, he speaks " Your fast but you don't think before you act. You also maintain good balance, those two things are key in a fight." He says still holding her down, but he winches when he feels a sting in his shin causing him to loosen his grip on her other arm. She laughs wiggling free jumping to the side holding the sword up once more. He narrows his eyes at her.
" Really? You kicked me?" He asks annoyance and playfulness in his voice. She smiles. " I work with what I get." She responds. " You won't win a fight by kicking them." He states. She rolls her eyes but then cuts them back to him. " Then show me how to win." She says raising her eyebrow.

" Show me your defensive position." He orders his sword now once again in his belt as they both hold mops. " Why are we using mops again?" She asks looking at hers. " Because i'm not getting accidentally killed by you while i'm teaching you to sword fight." He states. " Now show me your position." He adds assertively. She quickly jumps to a position involving her bending forward and her very far apart feet facing him. He shakes his head walk up to her. Placing his hand on her shoulder pushing some, making her straighten her posture up just a bit . " Your head should be steady and not moving at all during the fight, so keep your body dropped slightly." He says looking at her form as she listens to him. He nudges her on foot to move forward. " One foot should be facing forward, the other to the side." He adds. She quickly moves to a much better position not perfect but better. " Good." He commends walking away. He then stops and turns to face her holding up the mop handle. She mimics his actions. He nods in approval. He slowly moves the handle towards her to see her reaction. She quickly blocks it. " Good but we're going slow for now." He says withdrawing his handle. He then attacks slowly from the other side. She slowly blocks it only for him to move its backwards to hit her again, which is once again blocked by her. He shakes his head in approval.

Later George stands a few feet away watching as they still practice. He smiles seeing Cass confidently facing off with Alexander. She quickly lunges towards him this time more agile. Alexander easily blocks her attack pushing her backwards. He then lunges forward and she blocks his attack, then jumping backwards over a small box. Alexander steps over the box lunging once more catching her handle twisting it with his locking her in. She abruptly kicks his leg hard. He stumbles to the side dropping his mop that she catches holding it to his neck threateningly. " Very nice Lass!" George commends. " You beat him good." He adds smiling. Alexander rolls his eyes as Cass smiles proudly. " You've really got to stop kicking me." He states rubbing his leg. " Are you okay? Did I hurt you?" She asks playfully. He stands up straight grabbing his mop from her. His expression looking serious before fading into a soft expression. Shaking his head. " You did good." He admits smiling at her coming closer. He stops a few inches from her looking down at her intently. She slowly steps closer to his face smiling softly.

" Cass? You want to help me with something?" Richards voice interrupts. Alexander looks up to see him walking up to them. Avoiding eye contact with Alexander, Richards speaks to Cass once more " We haven't talked all day." He adds smiling. Her brows frown as she looks at Alexander. Alexander takes a deep breath looking at her seriously, before walking away. With Alexander out of site and George walking away Cass sighs before looking at Richards unhappily. His smile slightly fades. " What?" He asks. " Why didn't you help me the other night?" She asks seriously. " What with Benedict? Oh I new you had the situation taken care of." He says trying to maintain his innocence. Her eyes narrow. " I needed your help. You didn't even speak up for me." She says sadly. " Come on it wasn't that bad." He defends. " You weren't in my situation so you don't know if it wasn't that bad or not. You knew I needed help and you sat back and did nothing." She states angry. He looks at her taken aback. A moment of silence passes. " I would have spoken up for you." She adds seriously. He sighs still not responding as he now looks down. " I choose to be friends with those who will be my friend no matter who were around and those who defend me, like I will them." She states before turning around walking away, feeling confident in her decision.